Hoover drum removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hoover ABA11 which has just started making horrible clanking noises during it\\\'s spin cycle. This just started after the machine made a very loud bang.

When I opened it up I could see nothing wrong. I expected to see a broken spring or something but everything looks fine.

I now wonder if the inner drum is broken at the rear spindle, but I don\\\'t know how to remove it from the outer drum, it seems to be stuck in the bearing. Do I just need to clobber it with a hammer? is it just an iterference fit?

It looks to me like the inner drum is only supported at one end where it is bolted to the bearing. Is this right? seems like a crazy design to me, having the weight of all those wet clothes only supported at one end!

Sponsored Links
If you can look underneath you can see the spring or shock absorber type to investigate further.

i can not speak for your make of m/c but it sounds like your bearings have gone.

the inner droum is indeed supported at one end, by what we called a spider, it bolts onto the back of the drum, then goes through a bearing seal and 2 sets of bearings.

The older m/c s i worked on you had to take the back plate off the outer tun and out comes spider and drum, the newer ones came out through the front.

The thing is we had a couple of litle "unique tools" to help with this and some "thread locker" for putting it back.

unless you are very mechanicaly minded i would get a new m/c, yes bearings are cheap, but even cheaper is the free grief to get changing them. sometimes if too bad bearings would colapse , and even as an engineer you had to write it off

I managed to get it all apart (by clobbering spindle with hammer) and it is the spider that is broken. Unfortunately it's not bolted to the drum but attached with stainless steel rivets which I had to grind off.

Hopefully Hoover will sell this part separately and I can refit it using nuts and bolts.

I think this is yet another piece of cr*p design. The spider was corroded through after only three years, not surprising since it is normally immersed in soapy water and doesn't have so much as a coat of paint to protect it.

Sponsored Links
I have only ever seen one spider actualy break, yes the ones i had seen too had no coating they did not require it, but they bolted on (or off as the case may be)

have you got a water softener?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back