Drum bearings wearing out on 6yo washing machine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I've got a feeling the drum bearings are wearing out on a 6-year-old Indesit washing machine as it makes a loud rattling noise on spin cycle. Before I look into replacing them, just wondered anyone in the know thought the noise could be something else? (see video clip). There's no obvious debris under the drum or between the inner and outer drum, eg. wires, cloths, etc. and it doesn't sound to me like there's anything catching.

Cheers! Dan

Sponsored Links
Certainly sounds like bearings to me, sadly not unusual on a 6 year old machine I have had them go after 4 years.

It used to be a simple job to replace the bearings and quite cheap to do. I think they cottoned on to that so make it impossible to change them on some models now. You should check online to see if yours is one where the bearings can be replaced.

Sponsored Links
Yes used to be a doddle my first one many moons ago you took off a plate at the back and could change the bearings from there, now as said they are not made to be repaired, my last one a Bosch, I looked it up on line total strip down the whole machine had been built up around the drum at the factory!

Very annoying that they do this now, it's clearly to sell more machines. My last machine failed after 2 years, £220 for drum and bearing assembly! It used to cost me £20 for new bearings!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back