Hoover Fridge Freezer drain pipe freezing

stl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can shine a light on a fridge freezer problem. Appliance is Hoover Fridge Freezer HVB5172AHK just under three years old.

The fridge is on the top and freezer below. Problem is that the fridge defrost drain keeps freezing up. I have defrosted a few times and it works fine then after a few days the defrost pipe freezes up and ice water forms behind the salad drawer. When it is defrosted I have checked with a boroscope camera and cleaned pipe with a bendy brush so it's all clear with water running through but then same problem again.

Rear of fridge gets ice on it but then defrosts itself on a regular basis.

Any advice appreciated as I am confused.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there a gap between the bottom of the drain tube & the top of the evaporation tray on.top of the compressor?

Hi, yes there is a gap and when it's working water flows out on to the tray. It's an open ended pipe with no flap etc.on it.

I'm as confused as you, the only thing I can think must be happening is that a small piece of ice is falling off when it defrosts then blocking the tube or the water running down behind the freezer to the compressor is freezing in the tube. Is it possible to reroute the tube or insulate it from the back of the freezer? Perhaps some pics. of the inside of the fridge & the outside of the back might help

Sponsored Links
it might be that the tube is passing through an excessively cold area. What is the temperature (using a thermometer, not the fridge sensor) inside the fridge?

How thick does this coating of ice get?

• Thanks
Reactions: stl
Thanks, ice seems to form about 30 cm below drain hole and is probably a few cm thick as it can be rodded from above compressor. It's location would tie up with fridge freezer interface. Rear is plastic with no access to reroute. Temp in fridge is about 4 degrees with setting between 0 and 1. Any higher setting and will get more ice in drip channel. Seems to keep freezing in the same location. I have bought a plug to go in the drain hole which allows water down but reduces likelihood of food bits falling down.

Previously I have defrosted overnight until drain runs free. Maybe I need to leave longer and wondering if ice could cool insulation which assisted new water freezing?, Not really sure, a bit stumped!

sometimes there can be a leak of water or air (causing condensation) into the insulating layer, which prevents the insulation working. AFAIK it is not common in modern fridges filled with rigid expanding foam

4C is a shade low for a fridge. Recommendations are sometimes for 5C or 6C. The bottom will be colder than the top.

Do you think the door fits tightly and the seal fits?

Thanks, yes door seal seems to be fine. I have the dial between zero and one and think if I turn up to midway, it would only get colder...wonder if it could be a thermostat issue

I'll have a good look at the back to see if any obvious gaps etc. But mostly covered by rigid plastic sheet. If it's not an obvious solution I might need to buy some sort of extended warranty but they might not be able to do anything...

Loo

4 degrees is ideal should never be set above 5 degrees , in a commercial setting it would get you closed down .

I am having exactly the same problem with my Hoover fridge Freezer. The drain pipe frequently freezes about 30cm up from it’s exit at the bottom. Looks to me like it is too close to the freezing element of the freezer part. The rear is completely covered and there is no easy access to the drain pipe.....
Poor design in my opinion.

Having to regularly clean out the drain pipe to keep it clear. I use a length of bicycle gear cable outer (it’s narrower than brake cable outer)

I don’t have a solution for this problem yet.

I have had the same trouble with ice blocking the drain pipe of my Hoover fridge freezer. Have uploaded a short YouTube video
outlining my observations. Hope this may help someone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back