Hoover plug keeps getting a tug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When using the hoover, often the cable is fully unwound and when we then drag the hoover beyond this point, it pulls the cable at the plug. Over time, this results in the outer sheathing slipping through the plastic retainer inside the plug and the single insulated copper becoming visible. Eventually, it leads to the L/N disconnecting within the terminals.

1682691684421.png

I've now had this happen twice, despite tightening the plastic restraining clamp in the plug as best as I can.

Evidently, it doesn't take much for us to end up in this situation. Is there a type of plug or technique I can use to avoid this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would buy a new plug , if the screw is not holding any longer - its only screwed into plastic cover

also the outer insulation should be inside the plug itself , i'm surprised the cable comes out of the screw terminals - must be tugged really hard

the single cables should be shortened - so they cannot come out of the plug and still be connected to the pins, thats not correctly wired in my opinion

Sponsored Links
I would buy a new plug , if the screw is not holding any longer - its only screwed into plastic cover

also the outer insulation should be inside the plug itself , i'm surprised the cable comes out of the screw terminals - must be tugged really hard

the single cables should be shortened - so they cannot come out of the plug and still be connected to the pins, thats not correctly wired in my opinion
I thought I had seen some plugs that have a plastic "thingy-magik" which stops the cable from being puled out. I was hoping that someone would recommend something of that ilk.

I take on board your comment on the length of the inner cores. I still think it will pull of the terminals and eventually, snap.

I take on board your comment on the length of the inner cores. I still think it will pull of the terminals and eventually, snap.
Not if the clamp is working and tight enough, never had an issue - and often pull the hoover around until it pulls on plug , in fact the plug often comes out enough to stop the motor running

a plastic "thingy-magik" which stops the cable from being puled out.
small cable tie

If you can't get a good grip on the flex with the cord grip because it's too small, "shim" the flex with something so that it fits tighter, eg a few turns of PVC tape. Self-amalgamating tape is handy for this sort of thing as it is very thick.
Or maybe the cord grip is the wrong way up.

I've now had this happen twice, despite tightening the plastic restraining clamp in the plug as best as I can.
Which part of the cable are you using the cable clamp on?
Are you clamping onto the black outer sheath, or onto the blue and brown cables?

Is there a type of plug or technique I can use to avoid this?
MK plugs have plastic slide-in cord grips...
1682699318416.png

But the cable really shouldn't be able to come out of the screw down clip in your plug, as long as it is undamaged and properly tightened.

Can you show us a pic of how it is wired inside?

If you can't get a good grip on the flex with the cord grip because it's too small, "shim" the flex with something so that it fits tighter, eg a few turns of PVC tape. Self-amalgamating tape is handy for this sort of thing as it is very thick.
Or maybe the cord grip is the wrong way up.
That's a very good point with 2 core flex. Flat 2 core can be pulled through the MK type cord grip, if the plug has been used previously with thicker cable.
a screw down cord grip can also bite through the outer sheath of thin cables, if overtightened.

in this case though, vacuum cleaners usually have a heavy duty, round two core cable, there really shouldn't be any need to shim the flex - the cord grip should grip it! :)

I'd second the recommendation of @RandomGrinch to use an MK plug with a V type push-in cable grip on that particular vacuum cleaner cable and to trim the brown/blue cables to a minimum needed.

Throw that old plug away it's likely tightening has stripped the thread in the nylon 'strain relief'?

OP needs to get some 'mechanical sympathy' training and be aware of the mains lead nearing it's maximum distance limit, and not keep pulling!

MK plugs have plastic slide-in cord grips...

Those MK plugs are particularly good in that respect, but it's good practice to ensure the live wire inside the plug is always the shortest, so it disconnects the live first, then the slightly longer neutral, finally the longest the earth wire (if there is one).

Those MK plugs are particularly good in that respect, but it's good practice to ensure the live wire inside the plug is always the shortest, so it disconnects the live first, then the slightly longer neutral, finally the longest the earth wire (if there is one).
Yes, and you also have to make sure the wire twirls clockwise around the posts, with those screw terminals! :)

Sometimes I read these threads and think how the hell do you survive all day. Either that or people are lonely and make up a thread about nothing.

Andy

Last edited:
i have a friend who is very intelligent and very high up in a company - but he could not wire a plug , or know why there was a problem or do anything practical at all, and as hes very well paid , has no need to learn just gets someone in to sort out.
so some of these threads do not surprise me at all
I was lucky and learnt a lot from my carpenter father and also went into electronics and did up a lot of houses in the 70's and 80's moving up the housing ladder..

has no need to learn just gets someone in to sort out.
so some of these threads do not surprise me at all
...although this thread is from a poster who has been 'practicing' installing a consumer unit:

I think we should be able to expect a little more, in this case! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back