Hoptpoint Aquarius TCL780 tumble dryer noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Machine has started making a loud 'rumbling' noise as it's spinning. No loss of heat or spin. I've had the sides and back off, and the noise appears to be located at or around the motor. When turning the drum by hand, it seems to click on something on each revolution of the motor (in either direction) and not drum. There's a white 'fan' attached directly behind the motor (accessed by removing the rear panel that holds thermostat. This fan appears to be ok and not touching anything. Can't see anything inside the motor (obviously not easy to see).

Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Iv got the same dryer, and what sounds like the same problem as you have described, any progress with it yet? Im just about to open her up and take a look....

Check the front fan located under the cover. If you remove the fan and it stops that's the problem.

Thanks, that's the area where I thought the noise was coming from this morning when I was having a look funnily enough, didn't have time to, but was thinking of removing the fan, is that easy enough to do?

Sponsored Links
Very easy. Just a clip on the stem , fan has been superseded twice , made of 20% glass and rest plastic used to rumble on reverse.

Cheers, i meant more how to gain access to the fan, by taking the sides off or from the front?

Lid off. Right hand panel off. Front Fan under the cover next to to motor, rear fan is under the rear banjo cover.

Took the fan off today, spun drum by hand, noise still there. Disconnected belt, spun drum, no noise. Spun motor arm that fan was attached too, no noise. Connected belt again, spun drum by hand, noise is back.
. Im guessing either the motor is on its way out, or the drum is rubbing against something, any ideas help would be much appreciated.

Did u check the pulley that the belt goes round. Any black dust round it.

Just thought id update.........decided to have another go, traced the noise back to the actual motor. When moving the spindle, heard some noise and noticed a bit of excess play. Decided to strip the motor down, took out the spindle and one of the bearing definately had more play in it than the other one. Got a new bearing for £2 and replaced the knackered one. Put it all back together agian and low and behold its as silent as the day I bought it! Stupid chinese bearings! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back