tumble dryer not spinning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my White Knight Sensordry with Reverse tumble that Noah built has stopped spinning. well, almost stopped spinning. you can spin the drum by hand and it feels ok with regards to the bearings and motor turning freely. i removed belt and turned motor and drum again by hand, all good. i plugged it back in (with belt off) and the motor is just about creeping around when the timer is operated. there is also a loud noise(cant think of correct word) but it sounds like a motor being loaded up, sort of electrical inductance? (i get a simlilar noise on forklift truck drive motors when driving them slowly). ive turned it off and reset timer several times and fault still the same. can anyone tell me what to do next? im thinking of fitting a new capacitor- can get one for less than a fiver. the timer switch is closer to fifty quid. probly more than the dryer is worth, unless a museum fancies buying it :D any suggestions gratefully excepted bearing in mind it wont physically fit where some of you may suggest :eek:

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it may possibly be the capacitor, if you have a multimeter & know how to use it you should check for a voltage between each side of the capacitor to neutral or earth, if you get more or less the same reding then the capacitor is probaly ok. If you only get 204ish volts on one side then it is probaly duff.

hmmm. tested for voltage between capacitor (both sides of) and earth. had about 9v on one side and 6v on the other. motor is still turning very slowly. could the timer switch be faulty/full of fluff? any tests that i can do on the switch itself? cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. just bougt a capacitor from maplin for less than a fiver. tumble dryer now working fine. gonna give it a quick hoover out while the covers are off and we might get another 20 years out of it! happy missus. happy wallet :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back