Horizontal cable run on dog leg wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I'm hoping one you very knowledgable folks can clarify a couple of points for me.

I'm having a single storey rear extension built at the moment on our living room. The extension will be used as a dining room. The builder has been contracted to put up the shell only.

Due to building on the boundary line, the internal wall of the extension causes a dog leg in the wall (see attached image) where the extension attaches to the main house. The dog leg will be around 15cm in total once boarded and plastered.

View media item 31420
I'd like to install 3 x 2G sockets into the extension, and would like to use horizontal cable runs between the outlets. I've looked at a few docs on this site and online and I can't seem to find clarity on whether horizontal runs are permitted to continue around internal corners?

If so, this brings me onto a second question. The socket I'd use to break into the ring is in the living room around 40cms from the corner which now joins onto the extension.

Would a horizontal cable run be permitted around a dog leg in the wall formed by the inner leaf of the extension wall?

I'm more than happy to install vertically if this is a better solutions, but if it can be ran horizintally it would save a little work (and a lot of cable).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links
Not sure I could see the second question. Anyway, a safe zone exists horizontally from each socket up to the bend in the wall. There is also a safe zone vertically within 150mm of the corners, so your entire route is covered by safe zones.

Sorry, just figured the second question. Still it doesn't affect the reply.

it is quite helpful to put plenty of sockets along the cable, as they are so visible they give a clue to anyone drilling that there is probably a cable between them.

running cable horizontally is fine.

I'm having a single storey rear extension built at the moment on our living room. The extension will be used as a dining room. The builder has been contracted to put up the shell only.
When you applied for Building Regulations approval what did you say would be the way you'd ensure that the electrical work would comply with P1?

Sponsored Links
I have just had an extension put on my home and i had a builder do the same as you, shell only and water tight.

You can install the electrics yourself, but the building control officer must see the cable runs before you cover them up and you must have the electrics tested by a qualified electricain. The building control officer didnt mention part P, he just said it had to be to a british standard. You dont need an electrician who is part P qualified but he needs to have some qualifications. When you find an electrician, find out what qualifications (eg NICEIC) he has and then check its ok with building control

The cost of the inspection of the electrics by building control will be included in the fee you have already paid building control

If you dont have a modern consumer unit now would be a good time to get one installed. It takes most of the day to do the testing (for the whole hose). If in the future you then update your consumer unit the whole thing will need testing again

Yes. Just put sockets each side of the dog leg to give any subsequent thickie with a power drill half a clue there's a cable there.

A small return in the wall like that won't be a problem if there are sockets on both runs to show where a cable might be running horizontally.

The building control officer didnt mention part P, he just said it had to be to a british standard.

He was wrong then......

A small return in the wall like that won't be a problem if there are sockets on both runs to show where a cable might be running "delboybully";p="1909407"]The building control officer didnt mention part P, he j

The building control officer (and he is the head officer) said i didnt need part P electrics as long as he can see the cable runs and i get the electrics tested to a british standard. He is the man who knows and was the one who says whether the electrics are ok to get the extension signed off. The electrics have been done and building control is happy.

A small return in the wall like that won't be a problem if there are sockets on both runs to show where a cable might be running horizontally.

The building control officer didnt mention part P, he just said it had to be to a british standard.

He was wrong then......

From the OP it looks like it's just circuits being extended so probably not notifiable work. Maybe the BCO actually knows what he is talking about but didn't want to waste time explaining what is and isn't notifiable under Part P. Details details! As long as the work is safe and BCO is happy then all good eh?!!

The building control officer (and he is the head officer) said i didnt need part P electrics as long as he can see the cable runs and i get the electrics tested to a british standard. He is the man who knows and was the one who says whether the electrics are ok to get the extension signed off. The electrics have been done and building control is happy.
Your BCO was wrong. Enjoy.

The OP's BCO might not be wrong.

Or he might be wrong in another way.

They are all different, and what your experience was is no guide to what his will be, so it's very important for him to think about just what he said, or by default agreed to, and to stick to it, or he may find he cannot get a completion certificate.

From the OP it looks like it's just circuits being extended so probably not notifiable work. Maybe the BCO actually knows what he is talking about but didn't want to waste time explaining what is and isn't notifiable under Part P. Details details! As long as the work is safe and BCO is happy then all good eh?!!
You are commenting there on someone else's BCO, not the OP's.

Even if the electrical work on its own would not be notifiable, it is part of a project which is, and therefore the BCO may well take an interest in how P1 will be complied with, and/or the OP may already have made commitments about how it will be complied with.

Don't forget that Part P applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling,

not just notifiable work.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I spoke to my BCO and he's not overly bothered about seeing the cable runs but does want to see certification for the works.

I've got to change my work location in a couple of weeks now anyway so I've got a few sparks coming to give me a quote for the works as I won't be around as much.

Thanks again for the replies.

I spoke to my BCO and he's not overly bothered about seeing the cable runs but does want to see certification for the works.
I know it's irrelevant if you're using an electrician, but did he say what sort of certification?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back