Horizontal crack in wall plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that a crack approx 1mm has run horizontally approx 1.5m along the width of the staircase. The wall is cavity brick with walls plastered. I had the whole staircase replastered about 3 years ago.
I am getting slightly worried can any suggest what may be causing this and what should I do to sort it out.

Sponsored Links
Probably nothing to worry about. Could be a joint-line between plasterboards sheets (assuming they lined the wall with plasterboard and skimmed it).
Cracks that thickness rarely indicate any issue more than cosmetic

Probably nothing to worry about. Could be a joint-line between plasterboards sheets (assuming they lined the wall with plasterboard and skimmed it).
Cracks that thickness rarely indicate any issue more than cosmetic
Thanks for the reply, walls are not plasterboard, any thoughts on how I can sort this ?

Just a guess here but if the crack happens to line up with a mortar joint in the brickwork of the inner skin, it might be very slight expansion of the mortar, possibly caused by rusting of wall ties?
Maybe some of the surveyors will be along soon and chip their bit in.

Sponsored Links
Just a guess here but if the crack happens to line up with a mortar joint in the brickwork of the inner skin, it might be very slight expansion of the mortar, possibly caused by rusting of wall ties?
Maybe some of the surveyors will be along soon and chip their bit in.
Thanks Tony, it feels like may be worth filling and see how it goes ?

It's unlikely to be tie corrosion on an inside skin

Where about is the crack in relation to the wall and stairs? And did they plaster the wall in one go, and are you sure no boards were used at all?

It's unlikely to be tie corrosion on an inside skin

Where about is the crack in relation to the wall and stairs? And did they plaster the wall in one go, and are you sure no boards were used at all?
Hi the crack runs the length of stairwell approx 2m in length, its approx 1m high on the 6th stair tread down running almost to the top of the stairs. 3 years ago I the whole landing skimmed over so it may well be plasterboards underneath.

It's plasterboard
Are you suggesting the crack is where the plasterboard joins ?
What can I do to sort it ?

Hire a 12" diamond-tipped disc cutter and cut a 3" deep x 2" wide slot where the crack is and fill it with a 1:3 cement sand mix. When dry get a bag of board finsish, mix it in a bucket and apply liberally.

Alternatively, get a small tube of ready-mixed filler from B&Q and just rub it into the crack with your finger!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back