horn sounding when fog lights turned on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anyone help me i have a renault megane 1.6 sport on W plate and when i put on the fog lights on in bad weather after a while the horn sounds. it happens when i turn or use the indicators, its started to get annoying and embarressing to now as cannot work out why.

Sponsored Links
hi.
thanks for that reply. i have checked all visable earths in megane from engine bay throu to boot bet still the same. :confused:

definitely sounds like dodgy wiring to me, when i met my boyfirend i had to rewire his corsa because every time he turned the neon lights on under his car the window wipers went on full blast!

if you can't see where its going wrong it might be worth following the wires from the horn back to see what circuit its wired into (im assuming the same one as your fog lights) , failing that there are always spare fuses in your fuse box and you can rewire your horn through a different circuit.

a lot of car companies wire them into the same circuit because they're called 'occasional usage' circuits (less than once a week usage)
so its most cost effective for them to join them together.

hope this helps x

Sponsored Links
french cars are notorious for dodgy electrics. My bet is on the switch console, behind the steering wheel where all the switches come together: your horn and indicator switches will actually be pretty close, I'd check for something up there, the switches often wear and cause shorts, but electrical problems very difficult to trace I'm afraid. an auto spark is the best bet, they'll know the common faults on each car.

As for the guy with neon lights under his car... no sympathy there I'm afraid.... :)

I have a Fiat Punto that started to sound the horn of its own accord when the steering wheel was turned to the left. Got pretty embaressing that I removed the fuse for a while until I could fit it in to be looked at.
The problem started around April, just after the slightly warmer mornings arrived. At first it was just the once (which I thought I had inadvertantly caused by depressing the horn), after that it got worse daily to the point where even straightening the steering wheel would cause the horn to sound.
I've just got it back from the auto electrics but they were unable to trace the problem or find any fault. :confused:

many thanks to everyone who replied to this problem. i have finally found out the cause it was the wiring for the fog light which had melted. it had joined itself to the wiring for the horn causing it to sound when the fog lights were turned on . cost me a new switch and a bit of rewiring. so not to bad. :D

Sponsored Links
Back