Horrible Artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have a hole in the ceiling about 1 x 1ft (fixed burst pipe) and the rest of the ceiling is like a stripey (looks like brush dabbing) artex. I am going to attempt to patch up the ceiling, but what is the best way to match the artex?

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
There isn't a "best way" to match it. Stipple can be made to look OK but patterns are almost impossible to match umless your a master forger; you will always see it. Repair the hole, get it filled out & the whole ceiling re-skimmed nice & flat. It's the best way to treat Artex, your ceiling will look much better & it will raise your game in the “what’s fashionable” stakes. Artex is now only slightly more fasionable than f*rting at a dinner party but if you really like it, you can alwasy get it re-done after.

There isn't a "best way" to match it. Stipple can be made to look OK but patterns are almost impossible to match umless your a master forger; you will always see it. Repair the hole, get it filled out & the whole ceiling re-skimmed nice & flat. It's the best way to treat Artex, your ceiling will look much better & it will raise your game in the “what’s fashionable” stakes.[code:1] Artex is now only slightly more fasionable than f*rting at a dinner party
[/code:1]

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Roughcaster.

I was thinking that..Is it expensive to skim? I'm maybe handy around cars, but total crap with a trowel!

Standard bedroom size room...

Sponsored Links
In all honesty I would not advise having a go yourself. Walls are difficult enough if your a total novice but a flat ceiling is 3x more difficult IMO, let alone one with Artex pattern on it. The depth of the pattern will dictate how the plasterer will tackle it & heavy patterns usually involve an extra base coat. Most ceilings can be done in 4 hours, you may get charged a bit more but certainly no more than a day. Budget for anything between £100 - £200 but make sure your chosen spread actually knows what he's doing & has done Artex before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back