Horstmann 423 Diamond Replacement timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to change the ancient horstmann timer (h423d) as its constant ticking is making me crazy. I'm looking to replace it with a Drayton LP722 (Mk4) Programmer.

What I want the new timer to do is programme when to heat the water on its own and when to heat the radiators (I understand that to do this it will heat the water also)

It is a gravity fed Central heating system (boiler - water tank).

I understand that I'll need to replace the back plate and the wiring to it is different.

I've managed to find a wiring diagram for the H423. From what i can make out from it - Currently there are wires going to L N E (mains 3a) one wire from no2 (to burner?) , one wire from no4 (to thermostat?), and another going to same E (I'll try to attach files)

What I want to get right is the wiring on the new back plate. Obviously L N E are the same, but does current no 2 got to new no 3, and current no 4 go to new no 4???

I also understand there's a jumper on the rear of the new timer that needs to be moved.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20211127_155200.jpg
    20211127_155200.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 423and424__User_Installation.pdf
    482.6 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
post a pic of your HW cylinder, you like many are confused that a "tank fed system" as you call it is an open vent system not a gravity system, but does sound like you have a GRAVITY HW system, they are not the same

Here it is.

Attachments

• 20211127_180156.jpg
    20211127_180156.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 81
You dont have a gravity HW system , you have a fully pumped Y plan system

Sponsored Links
Okie dokie.

How will that affect the installation of the new programmer??

I've attached the installation instructions for the Drayton LP722. I see I will need to ensure the programmer is set to 'pump'

Attachments

• UG. IG. LP112_1 (1).pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 78
yep simple as that set it to fully pumped, you have a far better installation than a gravity HW one, just make sure the HW off wire is correct

HW off is no1 on the new back plate right?, so where does that wire come from?

Does current no 2 go to new no 3, and current no 4 go to new no 4 on the back plate or is that wrong? Is there additional wiring to be done with the back plate or the programmer?

Thx btw for your help and patience with me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back