Horstmann 425 tiara timer not moving/working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i replaced the old cover with a new one without replacing nor disturbing the back plate setting. However, the timer still does not work as it was not working before with the old one. Reason for me to change it because i would like to use the timer. Any advise would be appreciate.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for responding. Jackthorn, no it does not keep time. There is no movement on the dial. 45yearsagasman - have not fully checked the wiring as have only just replaced the front and not touched the backplate. We can manually activate the heating (via the controls) but cannot get any result via the timer/dial.

Sponsored Links
20151106_115146.jpg

Hi guys, here's the back plate image, are you able to advise further from here. Thanks.

Where does the power cable connected to the left hand three terminals come from? Is it plugged in somewhere or hard wired into a fused outlet?

A check of any fuses in that circuit should be the first thing. Also with all the power safely off, check that those 3 wires in the picture are securely held in place by their screws above.

Do you have a multimeter?

Hi Jackthom, I don't have a multimeter.

The left hand 3 terminals come from a switch box as shown in the image below.
20151106_151331.jpg

With power turned OFF first, can you post a picture of the inside of the left hand wiring box?

I'd particularly like to see the neutral connections in there.

It is difficult to see the layout.

With the switch turned off...

I would want to first check that the black wire (2nd from the left on the Horstmann backplate) is securely connected inside the Horstmann tiara backplate.
Then trace the other end of that black wire in the white connecting box to make sure it has a good connection to the Neutral cable coming from the fused switch box, which also is likely black.

OK I think that's as far as you can go with a visual inspection.

Since you've gone this far opening up the wiring (hopefully with the relevant circuit breaker turned off or fuse holder removed at the consumer unit!) I would suggest you invest in a multimeter (~£10 or so), or get someone in to check that power is getting to the Horstmann backbox contacts.

Is there a Screwfix nearby...?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mas830b-digital-multimeter-600v/75337

(I'm tempted to buy one of these myself, as a backup.)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back