Horstmann AS1 timer/stat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking at this model today. It is advertised as easy to use. For something easy to use it was not obvious how to keep the heating permanently off or keep it permanently on. It also has three red lights and a few blue lights with it not obvious what they mean.

Does anyone have experience with this model?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't know how simple you want it but you can literally wire a light switch on to a boiler. Second to that would be the Stats like you suggest and if you want it on or off you just turn it to the extreme. I think its worth the effort though setting up the new ones though such as the cheap salus range - a little hard to set up but easy to manage and full of features by comparison if you wanted them.

Thx. It is people`s knowledge of the AS1 I am particularly interested in.

Last edited:
I rang Horstmann. They said programme the heating for 10C and cool (off period) to 9C. Then wind it up via the `+` key to 22c. But you cannot override the switching. So you may have 22C then timer takes it down to 9C. Then you have to go to the unit and wind it back up to 22C. So, have off (cool) in the early hours and on (hot) the rest of the day. Then wind ithe temperature up and down to suit. Who designs this garbage? Advertised as easy to use.

Sponsored Links
Its an ok product,works just as well as any programmable thermostat product but maybe not suitable for its intended destination (different end users have different use ideas) so a suitable system has to be installed. :idea: Correct product selection is required.
It is advertised as easy to use
yes they are so whats your problem ?

Please buy the correct product to meet your customer expectations :!: Yes its that easy.

Ps got several different programmable stats and a few hive,nest,tados on sale.Nothing wrong with them expect the installer installing products not suitable for the user. Mostly oap's or blind customers.products selected and altered by the manufactures with help from rnib.

(y)

It is not easy to use. It does not have something simple like a permanent `off` function. Switch it to `cool` (setback temp) it will move back to `heat` (heating setpoint) on the next timing cycle. To permanently switch `off` the heating you will have to go to the boiler defeating the object of having a central control unit.

Many people at times do not want to use the timer aspect of a programmer. They want to switch `off` and then `on` to the heating setpoint. This does not do that. To get it to so something `near` to that, you have to play around with timing temps of heat and cool functions hoping to fool it. It is a poor design when something simple as just `on` and `off` are omitted.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back