Horstmann Econmy 7 quartz - Boost Not Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help ?
Just bought a 1970 era house with the given control unit. Boost is for only one hour. I am unfamiliar with this unit, but have just pulled the instructions off the web. If I turn boost anticlockwise to START, I do not get a light showing. If I manually continue to turn anticlockwise, the boost light goes on for a fraction of a second and then goes out. Net result is I cannot get boost on, and therefore no hot water.

I don't know if it's relevant, but when I got the keys to the house I was informed that the power to the house had gone. This was resolved quickly by Scottish Gas replacing the MAIN fuse to the house. No idea if this would have caused problems for the Horstman control unit.

Any ideas anyone please ?

Sponsored Links
sounds like the timer mech is faulty inside.

advance the clock round to 1 oclock the timed light should come on.

Thanks. Tried that. What I notice is :-
- Advance main timer dial slowly, and timer light comes on about 0130, and off again about 0700.
- Boost light DOES come one, but only when I select 1 hour, and then turn the main timer dial until the Timer light goes out.

Q1. Is it not possible to have both lights on at same time ?
Q2. What hours is the TIMER light supposed to be on ? 0130-0700 ? Are these the off-peak hours ?

Many thanks

you say boost light comes on only when 1 hour selected.

what happens if you carry on turning it round until 40 or 20 ?
the light shouldn't go out until it reaches 0 again.

the 01.30 till 07.00 is set inside by the blue tabs.
you can alter them yourself.
they are just useally set by the installer when you know when your cheap rate starts and finishes. all suppliers are different times.

as for both lights on you can't have both immersion on at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for your advice !

When Boost light is on, it will stay on all the way from 1hour, 40mins, 20min, to zero - yes.

It just seems odd, that when I set the time dial to correct time as it was then of 1930, that the timer light was lit, and consequently I was unable to get the booster light to come on. Only when I turned the main timer dial around - and therefore effectively changing the current time of day as far as the unit was concerned - was able to reach a point when the timer light would go out, and the boost light would come on.

I expected the timer light to only be on during the twilight cheap hours. I expected at 19:30 that the timer light would NOT be on, but that I could turn on the boost light.

- Am I understanding the unit correctly ?
- I can only see one blue tab inside. I will take the cover off tomorrow and have a look inside for anyother blue tab.

Thanks

their is a orange tab that is timed on blue tab is timed off.
they are set wrong if the timed is coming on a 19.30.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back