Horstmann H27XL to Hive Wiring Configuration (duplicates merged)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, appreciate this thread is quite old now, but I'm just looking through it as I also have a Huntsmann H27XL.

The diagram Stem posted is what I was looking for, (thanks, that's very helpful), however, when looking at my wiring, I can't figure out what each wire corresponds to, especially as an earth wire is in no.3 (HW off) and nothing is in 6 (CH off). I was wondering if someone might be able to help me work out which wires are which, so that I can replicate them onto the hive receiver (I'm on a system boiler, with no thermostat, just the Huntsman, and I have a dual channel Hive).

I've also attached some pics if that helps. Cheers.

View media item 105405
View media item 105406

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi, I came to this forum because I found a thread related to my problem here:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/installing-hive-from-h27xl.531137/

I have a similar issue but I cannot figure out what my current wiring set up is.
I have a system boiler (big tank in the loft and hot water tank on the upstairs level), with a Worcester boiler providing heating and hot water.
I was given a Hive a while back (it's dual channel receiver so right for my set up).

In the thread above, a poster called Stem was helpful in posting the wiring diagram for the H27XL and the corresponding Hive connections, however I cannot work out what my wiring set up is. (I've added his post here):

horstmann-jpg.173222

All of the existing wires to the Horstmann terminals relocate to the Hive receiver terminals (you will require the dual channel version) that have exactly the same function.

The exception is the live link wires shown dotted between L / 2 / 5. The Hive Dual Channel has these made for you internally already, so they can be discarded.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/installing-hive-from-h27xl.531137/#ixzz6c9dVqOJb

I've attached some pics of my current wiring set up. Where I'm getting confused on my set up is there is an Earth wire for connection 3 (HW off), and 6 is empty (which should be CH off).

I don't have a thermostat to disconnect, so I assumed this would be quite a straighforward switch over. If anyone can help me figure out the wires, that would be much appreciated.

JAY

Attachments

• wiring pic.jpg
    wiring pic.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 492
  • Boiler system.jpg
    Boiler system.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Hi NJAY
I can't figure out what each wire corresponds to, especially as an earth wire is in no.3 (HW off)
Whilst a green and yellow wire has been connected to terminal 3, it is definitely not being used as an earth wire. It is being used as a live. This is very bad practice because people like yourself will assume it is being used as an earth wire and it's not. Ideally that cable should be changed, or as an absolute minimum a brown sleeve should be slipped over it to identify its true purpose.

...and nothing is in 6 (CH off).
Don't worry that terminal is very rarely used. I've seen 100's maybe even 1,000's of installations and only seen it used 2 or 3 times. Slightly unusual though that someone has gone to the trouble of adding a link between 5 and 2 though. This is the electrical supply for 6 (CH off) so the link is not actually doing anything.

What you have is probably the most common set up (known as a Y Plan) and is the same as per the original posters system, so the advice I gave to Elnew is the same for you should you wish to install a dual channel Hive.

Sponsored Links
Ok that's really helpful STEM - I had posted a new thread as when I posted on here it alerted me that this may not be active, but I'll delete that now, as I don't want to clog up the system!

Ok, I'll get a brown sleeve and change the yellow one that is currently on 4. Very much appreciate the help Stem. Cheers.

Hi Stem, yes, the original thread alerted me that it might not be active - I can't see anywhere to delete this now. But thanks again in any case for your reply.

The mods have merged them both into this one for you now anyway.

One thing I have since noticed is that the op didn't have a wire in terminal 3, this is because his is an S-Plan and doesn't require that connection. However as I said, the advice is the same. You move the existing wires from the H27XL to the Hive terminals that have the same function. If there isn't a wire in a certain terminal now, that will be because your system doesn't need it.

So just to confirm on my set up:
L, N, E - all fine

In 1, I have the blue neutral wire, denoting HW ON. This goes in 3 on HIVE

Slot 2 - I have the linked-Live (dotted connection in pic). You mentioned Hive has this made internally so this can be discarded.

Slot 3 - I have the yellow and green wire (will change the sleeve to brown), denoting HW OFF. So this goes into 1 in HIVE

Slot 4 - I have the brown wire denoting CH ON, which goes into 4 on HIVE.

Then that leaves the connection of Live extended to 5. So again this can be discarded.

Where is the wire for CH OFF? Is this done automatically in the internal channel that HIVE has created?

Cheers.

In 1, I have the blue neutral wire, denoting HW ON. This goes in 3 on HIVE
First of all it's not a neutral. All of the neutral wires are in N and only in N. It's a blue wire being used as a live wire (so another brown sleeve over it would be a good idea) But yes 1 to 3 is correct

Slot 2 - I have the linked-Live (dotted connection in pic). You mentioned Hive has this made internally so this can be discarded.
Correct

Slot 3 - I have the yellow and green wire (will change the sleeve to brown), denoting HW OFF. So this goes into 1 in HIVE
Correct

Slot 4 - I have the brown wire denoting CH ON, which goes into 4 on HIVE.
Correct

Then that leaves the connection of Live extended to 5. So again this can be discarded.
Correct

Where is the wire for CH OFF? Is this done automatically in the internal channel that HIVE has created?
This terminal is made 'live' by both the Horstmann and the Hive when they turn the CH off. There will have never been a wire connected to it because your heating system doesn't need this connection. If there's nothing connected to this terminal at the Horstmann and you won't need it with the Hive.

If you have an existing room thermostat somewhere that will need attention to stop it interfering with the operation of the Hive. It can't just be disconnected. If you need any help with that, post back details of it and a photo of the wires connected to its terminals.

OK, thanks Stem, I'll be rewiring it over the weekend so hopefully will be straightforward. We don't have a thermostat, I think the previous owner didn't have one installed and just used the control on the boiler end to increase/decrease temperature. This at least saves a job of disconnecting it.

Indeed! That makes your job easier. Usually decommissioning the old thermostat can be the tricky bit as it can involve tracing the wires from the thermostat back to their origin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back