Hortsmann H27XL to Drayton MiGenie Wish 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum and would appreciate your help.

I currently have a Hortsmann Channel Plus H27XL programmer for HW & CH. I recently bought a Drayton MiGenie Wish 2 one (wireless) as i was told that it was easy to swap this over but this has baffled me?

The wiring on my current Hortsmann is different to the supposedly easy back plate on the MiGenie?

I changed the wiring as per the instructions (i.e HW OFF/ON, CH OFF/ON etc) and it all seemed ok as the HW switch turned on and off but the CH did not switch on? Instead it completed killed the boiler (no signs, etc ) until i switched off the CH on the timer and the boiler came back on? For some reason, the heating is not switching on?

Can anyone help? I have attached pictures of the current wiring on the Hortsmann and what should be on the MiGenie Wish 2.

Thanks

Slide1.jpg Slide2.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Neutral to N
Live to L
Blue 1
Red 3
Yellow 4
The links from L-2-5 are not needed on the new programmer as they are already fitted internally.

thanks for the reply Echo the husky. does that mean that the Brown is not required at all? I will try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

I also have a room stat, do i just remove this and cap the wires?

Any brown wires currently going in to the existing L terminal will go in the new L terminal, the 2 little link wires will not be needed.
You will need to find out where the room thermostat is wired back to, probably a junction box where the valve is located and disconnect the thermostat cable from there. You will then need to put a link in it's place between where the thermostats live and switched live were connected.

The link would go between terminals 4 and 5 in the diagram below, but don't expect your wiring to use the same numbering.
512px-Y-Plan-Wiring.gif

Sponsored Links
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I will put the brown wire to the L.

does the wiring for the thermostat need to be done this way for the system to work or can i cap it and leave the wiring as it is? I don't really want t be messing around with the junction box.

I get the first bit about the brown wire going to the new L terminal and not needing to link the wires.

do i still need to change the wiring for the room stat in the junction box as suggested or can i just remove the stat and cap the wires that end?

Thanks

The Brown wire to which Echo is referring is the supply cable which should be connected:
Brown to L
Blue to N
Earth to E

The Brown wire which was in terminal 6 (not sure where this brown comes from) is not needed.

Yes the old room stat cable needs disconnecting from the joint box and a link fitting in it's place. leaving random live wires about the place is poor practice and creates an unnecessary hazard for future people, you would also have to fit the live cable in a suitable enclosure and it all starts getting messy. The cable is dead easy to find in the junction box as it will be the only one with a wire connected to the white wire to the 3 port valve.

Thanks, I will ensure the room stat cable is disconnected.

I am still confused with the wiring for the programmer though? In the picture attached showing the current set up with the Hortsmann, there is a RED wire going into the L which I presume is the Live, then 2 link wires go from L-2 and 2-5 and the brown wire is connected to 5?

Is the brown a LIVE? if so, what is the red one going into L?
IMG_0666.JPG

That is a bit of a mess.

It is not possible to tell what the Brown in 5 is.
You will have to see where the other end is and what it does.

Apart from that -

upload_2016-10-25_13-39-12.png

Thanks, I will try and trace where there brown is going to? its connected to a Live so it must be for something.

Now to try and get this supposedly 'easy' installation of the MiGenie Wish 2 installed.

Appreciate your help!

Hi, I been up to the junction box to disconnect the room stat wires to find the wiring as in the picture. I have managed to locate the room stat wires by disconnecting the red wire then trying to switch on the heating via the stat, so can confirm that this is the wiring is it did not go.

So, If I remove the red, yellow and blue wires from the room stat, how and where do I put the link in its place?

Sorry but this junction box is different to the one in Echo's picture and I just want to be sure.

Thanks

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 972
Edited to remove wrong information.

At the correct cable
Remove the three thermostat wires

Put in a link wire from where the red was to where the yellow was.

Someone has been very naughty and used the earth wire as a live conductor in the tank stat cable.
It looks like the same person has cut off all the other earth wires except two. You need to make sure the pump is actually earthed. That is - that earth wire with the big sleeve on it is actually connected to earth.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back