Hot air central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey!

A friend of mine has been advised by the 'gas people' who maintain his boiler/burner/whatever you'd call it, that the parts are becoming too scarce to be able to support his maintenance insurance any longer. [ Sounds like the usual ploy to force an update and spread some commissions around to me - but it may be true ]

Anyways, they've had a company quote on a replacement for him and ..... it seems steep!

He has a hot air ducted system in, I'd guess, a '70s house - probably was the first installation. I've not inspected it to determine make/model etc.

What kind or price should he be expecting for the replacement and it's fitting?

It's a 3 bed [ 1 mid-sized double and 2 large single bedrooms & bathroom upstairs, lounge/diner, kitchen downstairs... I appreciate volume would need to be known to calculate capacity required.

I've had a bit of a sniff round for boilers to check out some reviews for him but not found anything yet.

I appreciate that folks aren't supposed to recommend really but does anyone have any 'good' experienced of brands/models they are willing to share?

He says that as he's 60 later this year, he's supposed to be able to get a government discount - if he buys a boiler and gets a local plumber/gas guy to fit it, can this still be organised for him?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
There is no way to get a cheap boiler installed cheaply without major concessions to quality.

If you can get a cheap boiler at all for this job, the installer will not be responsible for warrantee issues, so you have effectively take away any and all incentives to do a quality job.

Old chinese proverb says: "there is no free lunch"

To the OP;

What boiler is in there now?

What model has been quoted as a replacement?

Without this info how could anyone even guess?

Sponsored Links
I could make a guess.

got an old j&s now.
Was quoted for a new j&s

bet you a pint I'm at least 50% right. :D

HiSpec J32 on existing flue can normally be done for around £2000, but it depends on whether it has an internal circulator fitted, whether it is a slotfix (more awkward) and the combustion air arrangements, which often need to be altered to comply with modern standards.

I think the simple answer is to get two quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back