Hot and Cold rads, upstairs and down.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, have 2 rads not working properly. One downstairs, very luke warm, one upstairs just warm, some parts are warmer than others. Have bleed rads and water appears. Boiler pressure is 1-1.5 bar. i do not know how to add any boiler or rad cleaner.. how do you do this? Would this be the first thing to start with. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Boiler pressure is Ok. This is what it should be set to. How old is your system?

I'm not a plumber but if you read some of the posts on this site you pick up the trends after a while.

If you've got TRVs fitted it would be worth checking that they're not stuck but after that it sounds as though you might have a build up of sludge in the system. This prevents the water circulating round the radiators.

I don't want to give you any duff advice. You can drain the system down and see what comes out, get a plumber to power flush it (varying opinions on this option on this site) or take the offending radiator off and flush it out. That's not quite as bad as it seems as it is possible to isolate it without having to drain the system.

Sponsored Links
I think it could be sludge in the radiator or the system as you say.. however I have never taken a rad off before, and don't even know where to start. I don't mind giving this a go myself as I would like to be more self sufficient... Does anyone know of a good DIY manual I could buy that could tell me, how to, take a rad off and de sludge it, or how to flush the system... and what tools would I need.

thanks for all your help... I do really need to start at the beginning...

Just had a feel of some of the radiators around the house... most of them are not very hot... how do I know if the pump is working or not... they are warm, but not hot.. Thanks

There's some info on this site that you will find useful, see here .

Suggest you work your way through this and keep asking questions!!

There's a lot of people here who can give you good advice.

Cheers

Ian.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back