Hot Boiler and Stone Cold Radiators.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I Have an all electric heating system, hot water is served by Immersion and Boiler only provides heat or at least it did..!

Problem is that the Boiler is warm to touch, cold radiators and when I turn on Boiler the pump runs for about 5 minutes and then starts banging and making klunking noises then stops.

Taking the cover off I can feel that the Pipes left and right of the Pump are hot to touch.

Tried getting a plumber, but as usual they are all busy for the next 5 years doing Mrs Jones and Mr Smiths house 2 minutes down the road. In fact I called 17 Plumbers and not one was available.

However they did make suggestions..

Drain the system from lowest point, put peice of timber under the float in header tank, then close Radiator feed, pour in 2 Litres of X200 and then refill system by first removing the Timber under float in header tank.

When I drained the Rad's I did so at Back door and at Front door, all the water that left the system was clean and COLD.

When I restarted the Boiler, unlike previous occsasions she started and continued to run for 10 minutes and as before Klunking and banging resulting in the Pump switching itself off. I presses the pressure valve to start again and again ran for 2 or 3 minutes and again switched off.

And still no hot water in Rad's.. What I did notice was that of the 4 pipes running up wall behind the Boiler; 2 got hot which was not the case before.

Also, on the pump is a drain plug with outlet tap. I thought that perhaps running water out of this tap would be sensible, but when I unscrewed Not a Drop of water was to be seen.

Any ideas? any help hugely appreciated.

Asdeane

Sponsored Links
Sounds like sludge stopping the flow in the system. Cleaner in the system is a good idea, did not get if you had actually done it or not.
If not, HYPERFLUSH from kamco is the best, the will mail order it if you can’t get it locally. Search forum and faq for sludge removing/system cleaning

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back