Hot pins on plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just unplugged a 2kw heater which has been on for 30 mins and the pins on the plus are red hot. Any ideas what's causing it and if it's safe to use?

Sponsored Links
"Red Hot?" Glowing Red, you mean?

Or do you just mean hot to the touch?

Is it all three pins, or just one or two of them? Is it hot enough to boil water when you unplug it and touch the prong with a wet finger?

A common cause is a loose connection in the plug or the socket. Occasionally it can be wear or poor-quality manufacture in the brass spring that grips the pin when you insert it into the socket. Some photos would help.

Thanks for your reply. All three pins are so hot, I don't want to keep my fingers on them! I guess the socket is okay as our 2kw iron is run off it regularly for more than 30 mins the heater was plugged in. Will look inside the plug shortly for any loose connections.

you only need to lick your finger and dab it on the hot metal, once it is unplugged.

Sponsored Links
I guess the socket is okay as our 2kw iron is run off it regularly for more than 30 mins the heater was plugged in.
A dangerous assumption - irons switch on and off all of the time - they are not the same sort of load as a heater at all.

Will look inside the plug shortly for any loose connections.
Good idea, but also check the socket and if you still have problems after checking/fixing/replacing the plug try the heater in another socket - it's possible that it's the actual internals of the socket that are flaky.

The sort of heating you describe can do permanent damage to springy brass contacts.

As mentined above it will be the spring clip which makes contact with the pins.

I have taken sockets apart to tighten these (waits for flak) but if you don't feel confident you can get the socket back togehter correctly then just replace the socket.

As mentined above it will be the spring clip which makes contact with the pins.

I have taken sockets apart to tighten these (waits for flak) but if you don't feel confident you can get the socket back togehter correctly then just replace the socket.

You deserve "flak" for this penny pinching and dangerous advice

With decent sockets costing £4, it would be madness to try and repair one.

Check the plug top internally along with the socket outlet. You may find loose wiring.

It's worth changing the socket if in doubt. As suggested the price is low. Its really not worth stripping a socket outlet apart in order to rectify.

With decent sockets costing £4, it would be madness to try and repair one.

I was expecting the flak but would do it again.

IF you know what you are doing it is quick and easy and have had new sockets with the same problem. If you don't know what you are doing you will never get it back together, try it and you will see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back