Pins on plug get hot when heater is on for an hour.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son moved into a flat recently and does not know the wiring history of the flat. Het said when he plugged in a 2.5 Kw heater, found the pins of the plug were very hot when he unplugged it an hour later. What action would you recomend. He does not want to get an electrican in, as he has just finished paying for the plumbing work done and is saving for the other work needed.

Sponsored Links
Some sockets are just cheap and can cause a high 'ish' resistance between plug and socket, which can then generate some heat.

Or, more commonly, loose terminals in the PLUG or the SOCKET.

Check for loose terminals, and if this is no good, replace the socket.

Also check the fuse holder in the plug is good and solid, and the fuse is held tightly - Again, old or cheap plugs can have an effect.

How hot is hot?

He does not want to get an electrican in, as he has just finished paying for the plumbing work done and is saving for the other work needed.

Pointless saving for other work if the house burns due to a defective socket overheating.

If the socket has become hot ( more than just warm ) for whatever reason the contacts (and possibly the switch) are likely to have become damaged and more heating will occur due to poor contact between socket and plug.

bernardgreen";p="781377 said:
He does not want to get an electrican in, as he has just finished paying for the plumbing work done and is saving for the other work needed.

Agree with what other sparks have said.

Why do people always put Plumbing before electrical :?:

You'd swear electrics and faulty electrics are not dangerous.

Sponsored Links
IMGP2317.jpg

;)

And still working perfectly.

This shows that there is no need to worry about overheating plugs - right?

;)

Sometimes in a 13A plug, the cable clamp can be too tight and break through the cores. If some get severed this can cause high resistance and therefore heat.

And still working perfectly.

This shows that there is no need to worry about overheating plugs - right?

;)

That charring with its carbon content could create an earth leakage path.

Assuming there is an effective earth to the socket......

How 'hot' is 'hot'... That is the question.

My hot water taps deliver at 58 - 60°C - try some skin under that !!

:cool:

I would check for loose connections as others have said. If that doesn't solve it then I would replace both the plug and socket involved with good quality ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back