Plug getting really hot? Is it normal?

For some reason, the standard sizes stocked seem to be 1A, 2A, 3A, 5A, 7A, 10A, 13A

there is a logic to the series but I'm not familiar with it.

So 8 is one of the numbers seemingly not on the shelf.

You can of course order special fuses, and I have seen them in fast/superfast/standard at a variety of strange ratings from 500mA up

The only rules are that they must not be rated above 13A, and that all except 3A and 13A must be black.

Sponsored Links
yes, sorry I said 8 when the nearest stock item is 7.

The series is based on convenient intervals. Like spanner sizes and pipe diameters.

Sponsored Links
For some reason, the standard sizes stocked seem to be 1A, 2A, 3A, 5A, 7A, 10A, 13A

there is a logic to the series but I'm not familiar with it.

So 8 is one of the numbers seemingly not on the shelf.

You can of course order special fuses, and I have seen them in fast/superfast/standard at a variety of strange ratings from 500mA up

The only rules are that they must not be rated above 13A, and that all except 3A and 13A must be black.
I believe all sorts of current ratings used to be available, I have vivid memories of 2A being green and 10A being orange

yes, 2A and 10A are stock ratings. But they are now required to be black. The rules may have been different in the past.

I believe all sorts of current ratings used to be available, I have vivid memories of 2A being green and 10A being orange

Indeed different colours were used which I think makes more sense. I have green 1a ones and somewhere a blue 3a (before they went red). Yellow I remember was one of the values as well.

Is that another typo!?

As JohnD said:

No.
Strand Junior 8's used 4A fuses for the 1KW or 10A for the 2KW version, at school we had the former and and another home made board with 5A fusewire and later 5A fuses. Some of out lamps were 2KW and worked OK on the 5A homemade board but inrush would take out the 4A fuse if patched into the Strand, I'm sure that we eventually used larger fuses.

I'm in total agreement with the range of currently available sizes but as I mentioned the range used to be wider.
Nobody else remember the EverReady metal compartmented box with built in battery and test bulb in the ironmongers? Inside the lid was a guide for application of the various fuse ratings. As a young boy it always reminded me of the Quizenaire I used in junior school to learn maths.

Last edited:
I've seen lots of other ratings, but it looks as if only the more common ones are now widely stocked.

I've seen lots of other ratings, but it looks as if only the more common ones are now widely stocked.
Completely agree and it's got quite difficult to find other than 3 & 13A in domestic outlets now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back