Plug getting really hot? Is it normal?

If you mean flex, 0.75mm² is rated at 6A and 1mm² at 10A.
What I mean is of course flexible cable, apologies for the incomplete description.
Yes the ratings you have quoted match with my understanding.

Sponsored Links
No need to apologise; I was just making sure.

The purpose of my question was that the flexes are 3A, 6A, 10A and 13A so other BS1362 fuse ratings are not required.

So what size fuse would be correct for a 1.4KW load on 0.75mm² cable?
6A.

Although you did say 1.5kW before in which case - strictly speaking - it depends on the voltage and might be too high for the 0.75mm² cable.

Sponsored Links
6A.

Although you did say 1.5kW before in which case - strictly speaking - it depends on the voltage and might be too high for the 0.75mm² cable.
Indeed I did. Our old toaster was 1.5KW and our previous Kettle was 1.8KW, I believe both were 0.75mm² cable. Henry is 1.4KW and also on 0.75mm² cable which gets quite warm, especially the bit that's still coiled, in the 20 minutes or so he's running for.

Which smoothly takes me to the current kettle, 2.6 - 3KW (220-240V) on 1mm² cable. The figures don't quite tally so I measured at 232V as 12.2A or 2.83KW which equates to 2.54 - 3.03KW and quite obviously requires a 13A fuse. I fully accept (although not too comfortable with) that the run time is quite short but my local church hall has 3 similarly rated kettles which are quite regularly in use for an extended period and yes the cable does get very warm to the point it feels like the pvc is starting to run.

Yes, we have discussed before that leads supplied by the manufacturer do not come under BS7671.

However, were you fitting a new lead, or the equivalent on another appliance, I am sure you would stick to BS7671 and use larger flex.

Henry 1.4kW? Mine is only 620W also on 0.75mm² and since emigrating is only protected by a 16A OPD.

Yes, we have discussed before that leads supplied by the manufacturer do not come under BS7671.

However, were you fitting a new lead, or the equivalent on another appliance, I am sure you would stick to BS7671 and use larger flex.

Henry 1.4kW? Mine is only 620W also on 0.75mm² and since emigrating is only protected by a 16A OPD.
And not conforming to UK regs which is where I live.

So 7A is the answer to the questions raised in posts 43 & 48. However still not conforming to BS7671.

I don't understand.

1.4kW @ 240V = 5.83A.

Why would you want a 7A fuse for that when you have used a 6A flex?
This is the unmodified manufacturers designed product, Henry hoover with a long and very thin 0.75mm² cable. 6A fuse not available, well not that I've seen and I wouldn't want to be running a large motor on a protective device with such a tiny margin.

! No such thing. It is a Henry or a Hoover.
WINSTON Do you really want me to start picking holes in everything you say again?

Every single person on here apart from one knows exactly what I meant, especially as I added the word Hoover to differentiate it from a paint sprayer, telephone, or any other product called Henry.

Last edited:
This is the unmodified manufacturers designed product, Henry hoover with a long and very thin 0.75mm² cable. 6A fuse not available, well not that I've seen and I wouldn't want to be running a large motor on a protective device with such a tiny margin.
Use a 13A then, not sure of the relevance but you are moving the goal posts.

I ask again - when would anyone ever need a 7A BS1362 fuse?

Use a 13A then, not sure of the relevance but you are moving the goal posts.

I ask again - when would anyone ever need a 7A BS1362 fuse?
When would anyone ever need a 3A BS1362 fuse?
When would anyone ever need a 13A BS1362 fuse?
As so many people keep saying on here - Shuko plugs don't use fuses so we don't need any fuses in UK either.

When would anyone ever need a 3A BS1362 fuse?
Possibly never.

When would anyone ever need a 13A BS1362 fuse?
As so many people keep saying on here - Shuko plugs don't use fuses so we don't need any fuses in UK either.
Well, you have to have A fuse in British plugs and to allow the use of small cables on 32A circuits.
Unfortunately 13A is the highest rating made.

You still are not addressing the point of the odd sized fuses. Why are they made?

When would 7A be needed and 5A or 10A not suitable?

Possibly never.

Well, you have to have A fuse in British plugs and to allow the use of small cables on 32A circuits.
Unfortunately 13A is the highest rating made.

You still are not addressing the point of the odd sized fuses. Why are they made?

When would 7A be needed and 5A or 10A not suitable?
So now you are self defeating your own statements, Initially you say a 3A cable is safe to use in a Shuko fused at 16A but then you say it's not safe on a 32A fuse.

So how have you defined the cut-off limit for potentially overloading a cable.

I'll come back on your question and ask why we need any fuse, or why 13A is not suitable for all applications.

At the moment I really don't know what your comments and questions mean. But I don't think our ideas/ideals are far adrift from each other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back