Wall plug socket really hot with fan heater

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a fan heater.
When plugged into one wall socket, the wall socket gets really hot.
Is this normal?
It's just a basic 2KW fan heater we purchased from Lidl.

I'm guessing something is going wrong. It shouldn't over heat like that?

What should I do?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Loose wiring in the plug, damaged contacts in the socket, loose wiring at the socket, plug not made to proper specifications, fuse clips loose, combinations of all of them.

If it's only with one socket, replace the socket.
If with several, cut the plug off, destroy it so it can't be used, and fit a new plug.
If it's been overheating for any length of time, replace both the socket and plug as both will be damaged by the heat.

My mates tumble dryer plug gets quite hot when in use. Plug looks ropey too. But he aint bothered!

Thanks for the replies
I'm definitely bothered!

I'll need to investigate further.
The plug socket is part of an extension built 5-6 years ago.
So fairly new. It was just a basic plug socket.

Sponsored Links
Buy a good brand of plug and socket then the chances are they will be more robust.

The current MK Logic Plus are not built like the original 70s Logic range but I still think they're better made than a lot of other brands.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
@oldbutnotdead it's definitely hot. I can touch. But not warm. Execissively hot I would describe.

@securespark I got the cheapest one I could find at screwfix. But is MK brand though.
I was penny pinching and trying to save costs on absolutely everything at the time.
Can you give me a link to a recommended option on screwfix? Thanks

Can't believe the prices for an appliance plug but have a look at these. Steer clear of the Diall one though, (looks too cheap compared to the others but then they look VERY expensive just for a plug).

For the socket. I never bother with the usb type simply because I prefer my phones etc to be used with the one supplied with the unit.
I've got some LAP ones in my old shed and not had any problems with them in nearly 8 years. I use one of those 2kW, front facing, heaters in there with no problems.

Can't believe the prices for an appliance plug but have a look at these.
Good grief. They (all but the Diall one) seem like crazy prices. I'm sure I've never paid anythiong remotely like that much for a plug!
Steer clear of the Diall one though, (looks too cheap compared to the others but then they look VERY expensive just for a plug).
Again, I certainly agree about 'the others'. However, I have to say that the vast majority of plugs I use (many of which have been in satisfactor service for many years, if not decades) look just like that Diall one (and probably didn't cost much more than it).

In reality, I would have thought that about the only thing that can possibly be significantly iffy about a plug are the fuse connectors (including the attachment of one to the L pin) but beyond that, I'm not sure what is really likely to be inferior about a cheap one in comparison with those ultra-expensive ones.

Kind Regards, John

With any "High Current" device (Heater, Iron, Vacuum Cleaner etc.) one should always check the temperature of the pins - on unplugging, immediately after use.
If one pin is "warmer" than the other, it indicates a "loose connection" (somewhere) - usually to the socket-outlet - or socket-outlet pins which have lost tension.

Before you do anything, I'd follow @flameport's advice and try it in a number of sockets. If they all heat up, then it's the plug that's at fault. A lot of these moulded on plugs have crimp/solder connections inside which are liable to fail under a high current draw, such as with a fan heater.

This is what the plug on a cheap Tesco 2kW fan heater did to a socket in my mum's house. Previously, a 3kW heater had been plugged into it for years with no problem at all.
IMG_0611.jpeg

Before you do anything, I'd follow @flameport's advice and try it in a number of sockets. If they all heat up, then it's the plug that's at fault. A lot of these moulded on plugs have crimp/solder connections inside which are liable to fail under a high current draw, such as with a fan heater.

This is what the plug on a cheap Tesco 2kW fan heater did to a socket in my mum's house. Previously, a 3kW heater had been plugged into it for years with no problem at all.View attachment 296132
Out of general interest, did you continue using the same 2kW heater, with a new plug and socket?

Out of general interest, did you continue using the same 2kW heater, with a new plug and socket?
Yep, still in use with no further problem. I put an MK toughplug onto it, as I've used them for the same issue with tumble dryers, and they don't heat up even slightly.

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpeg
    IMG_0628.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0629.jpeg
    IMG_0629.jpeg
    350.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0630.jpeg
    IMG_0630.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 102

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back