Hot tap taking ages to get hot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an unusual question. When I switch on my hot tap, am I right in assuming that the hot water will be delivered solely to my hot tap? even though the path of the hot water may pass through multiple tee’s on the way (which will have cooled water at their other connections). I expect the some water will loose some heat along the way by coming into contact with the stationary cooler water, however I’ve got a geeeling that an entire leg of my hot water system ( which should be stationary ) is being heated at the same as the desired hot water route to my tap. I’m thinking this as I’ve recently tee’d off my main kitchen hot water pipe and now this tap is taking ages to get hot. I’m convinced some other body of water is getting heated up??? Really appreciate any thoughts /suggestions. ??

Sponsored Links
What provides your hot water ,combi boiler or some other ?
Did, and does, your kitchen tap provide hot water quickly ,and only your new tap is an issue ?

Can you provide a drawing of the pipework before and after you teed off it?

What provides your hot water ,combi boiler or some other ?
Did, and does, your kitchen tap provide hot water quickly ,and only your new tap is an issue ?
Combi boiler , and the kitchen tap used to provide hot water pretty quickly before I added a tee(to provide hot water to my utility room). It’s got to be related ,right?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't answer my questions.
Is kitchen tap as it was ? Or both kitchen and new tap a problem now ?

Did you, by any chance, fit isolating valves in the pipes feeding your new tap? If yes, try turning them off and see if the kitchen tap behaves. Or is it only the new tap that's the problem?

Did you, by any chance, fit isolating valves in the pipes feeding your new tap? If yes, try turning them off and see if the kitchen tap behaves. Or is it only the new tap that's the problem?
Good idea. I actually fitted an isolator just after the point where I tapped into the old kitchen tap pipe. If my problem goes away when I turn off the water at the isolator then I know the new section of pipe is my problem. If this is the case, I’m still not sure what I do next ?

Ok ,now we have established that only the new tap is an issue ,does the flow of Hot water from the new tap equal that of the kitchen tap ,in terms of how fast the water flows from it ? In other words would both taps on hot only fill a jug in the same amount of seconds?
And how many metres has the pipework been extended ?

Ok ,now we have established that only the new tap is an issue ,does the flow of Hot water from the new tap equal that of the kitchen tap ,in terms of how fast the water flows from it ? In other words would both taps on hot only fill a jug in the same amount of seconds?
And how many metres has the pipework been extended ?
I think OP means he's done nowt to the kitchen tap but it now takes ages to run hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back