Hot Tub Connect Up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I'm new so be nice!

Firstly - please be aware I am just looking for advice. I will not be completing any "electrical connecting" myself - I already have a few electricians who are up for the task and not charging too much. I would ask them about this, and will do, but wanted to get your opinions too :)

So, onto my situation! I have purchased a hot tub (well, my wife has, via my bank account ;) ) and I'm in the process of building the concrete foundations for it. I'm also hoping to line up the electrics.

The good news is myself and the wife made a last minute decision to move the tub from the back of the garden to the front, next to the house. This is saving ALOT on the 3-core 6mm armoured cable I require!

The tub requires a minimum of 16 amps at the tub, "ideally 20 amps" according to a phone call with the manufacturer. The run from the existing RCD in my house to the "site location" is about 10 meters, 20 meters allowing for the cable running up and down walls here and there. My existing consumer unit has no spare RCD sockets.

The plan is to extend from the electric supply (I've forgotten the name of the little box between the cable and the existing ECU), and fit a new 2 way garage ECU/RCD next to it. One of these will carry a 20 amp fuse which will then run through 20 meters of 3-core 6mm armoured cable, to an external point about 2 meters from the tub itself, on the outside wall. At this point, I plan to put in a 25 amp rotary isolated switch (http://www.screwfix.com/p/ip65-isolator-switch-25a/15054). From this switch will be about 5 meters of cable running to the hot tub itself.

Firstly - does everyone agree with the above approach? Have I missed anything, or am I making any mistakes?

Some thoughts/questions I had:

• Given I'm out of sockets on my existing CU, and will also have used up 1 of the 2 sockets on the new ECU, should I instead be getting a new 8 gang ECU fitted instead. I suspect there isn't much cost difference and would leave me "room for the future" - thoughts? Is there much cost wise in it?
  • I was thinking about one day running some low voltage garden lights, which can be run from a standard 13 amp plug. I was also hoping to one day fit a outdoor plug socket, for gardening etc. I suspect the best thing to do in this case would be to run it from an existing 13 amp circuit within the house, and not make use of my hot tub power supply? Or, and this would be cool if possible, in an ideal world I'd be able to buy a 2 gang WEATHERPROOF RCD/ECU and put that next to the rotary isolator switch. I could then run a higher ampage to the outdoor RCD/ECU, and then drop it down there and connect one branch to the hot tub (dropping the ampage down to 20amp at the external RCD/ECU and another another branch supplying the low voltage outdoor lights / external plug sockets. Do external weatherproof RCD's exist?
  • What kind of certification should I be asking for, from the electrician setting this up? I read at http://www.outdoorlivinghottubs.co.uk/servicing/electrical-connection that I need a "part P?" should I ever sell the house?

Sorry for the ramble - I just want to get this right from the get go!

Thanks in advance,

RR[/url]

Sponsored Links
You chosen electrician wil be able to advise on teh best approach.
Make sure he is registered with one of the recognised "Part P" schemes, then he will arrange the necessary Building Regulations paperwork.
Look on here http://www.electricsaferegister.co.uk

In general the 6mm cable size would appear OK.
The configuration of the consumer unit and / or changing the existing can only be determined by a site visit.

Not sure what an ECU is - can you explain, or (better) post some pictures. We like pictures.

You chosen electrician wil be able to advise on teh best approach.
Make sure he is registered with one of the recognised "Part P" schemes, then he will arrange the necessary Building Regulations paperwork.
Look on here http://www.electricsaferegister.co.uk

In general the 6mm cable size would appear OK.
The configuration of the consumer unit and / or changing the existing can only be determined by a site visit.

Not sure what an ECU is - can you explain, or (better) post some pictures. We like pictures.

By ECU I was referring to "electrical consumer unit" - just the fuse box :) Ideally I'd take a higher ampage out to a RCD fuse box on an external wall in the garden, then from there run via the rotary switch to the hot tub. This would also allow me to run a second circuit to some external sockets.

Sponsored Links
You could create an external sub main.

Run a 10mm or 16mm cable underfloor to a suitable ip rated box fixed to the outside wall of the property, you then spur off that in short runs to items required.

You won't see the wife's mates bobbies without good lighting, you might also want a ir heater and then there's the sockets.

The advantage is that the internal cable could be normal TE saving expense on swa, and the external runs from the sub main will be less material cost.

I don't know why he doesn't talk to his electrician(s) about it - after all, none of them will do what we tell them, they will, and must, do what they think is right.

Firstly - please be aware I am just looking for advice. I will not be completing any "electrical connecting" myself - I already have a few electricians who are up for the task and not charging too much. I would ask them about this, and will do, but wanted to get your opinions too :)

So, onto my situation! I have purchased a hot tub (well, my wife has, via my bank account ;) ) and I'm in the process of building the concrete foundations for it. I'm also hoping to line up the electrics.

The good news is myself and the wife made a last minute decision to move the tub from the back of the garden to the front, next to the house. This is saving ALOT on the 3-core 6mm armoured cable I require!

The tub requires a minimum of 16 amps at the tub, "ideally 20 amps" according to a phone call with the manufacturer. The run from the existing RCD in my house to the "site location" is about 10 meters, 20 meters allowing for the cable running up and down walls here and there. My existing consumer unit has no spare RCD sockets.

The plan is to extend from the electric supply (I've forgotten the name of the little box between the cable and the existing ECU), and fit a new 2 way garage ECU/RCD next to it. One of these will carry a 20 amp fuse which will then run through 20 meters of 3-core 6mm armoured cable, to an external point about 2 meters from the tub itself, on the outside wall. At this point, I plan to put in a 25 amp rotary isolated switch (http://www.screwfix.com/p/ip65-isolator-switch-25a/15054). From this switch will be about 5 meters of cable running to the hot tub itself.

Firstly - does everyone agree with the above approach? Have I missed anything, or am I making any mistakes?

• Given I'm out of sockets on my existing CU, and will also have used up 1 of the 2 sockets on the new ECU, should I instead be getting a new 8 gang ECU fitted instead. I suspect there isn't much cost difference and would leave me "room for the future" - thoughts? Is there much cost wise in it?
  • I was thinking about one day running some low voltage garden lights, which can be run from a standard 13 amp plug. I was also hoping to one day fit a outdoor plug socket, for gardening etc. I suspect the best thing to do in this case would be to run it from an existing 13 amp circuit within the house, and not make use of my hot tub power supply? Or, and this would be cool if possible, in an ideal world I'd be able to buy a 2 gang WEATHERPROOF RCD/ECU and put that next to the rotary isolator switch. I could then run a higher ampage to the outdoor RCD/ECU, and then drop it down there and connect one branch to the hot tub (dropping the ampage down to 20amp at the external RCD/ECU and another another branch supplying the low voltage outdoor lights / external plug sockets. Do external weatherproof RCD's exist?
  • What kind of certification should I be asking for, from the electrician setting this up? I read at http://www.outdoorlivinghottubs.co.uk/servicing/electrical-connection that I need a "part P?" should I ever sell the house?

Thanks in advance,
hi
first i would say some of your terminology is incorrect
you dont haver sockets in your consumer unit (CU) normally the supply will have a switch disconector or an RCD which stands for Residual current device .In your consumer unit you will have probable MCBs which stands for minature circuit breaker .
Hot tubs preferablly should have their own supply if you have no spare ways in your consumer unit you can get an electrican to fit a henley block which will split your main supply so you can add a garage unit with the right size RCD or RCBO which then runs by steel wire armour cable (SWA) to a rotary switch sized to fit you specific hot tub requirements.This must be place 2 metres away from the tub so it cannot be reached by anyone sitting in the tub.
If you require more circuits for your house add a larger CU instead of a small garage unit with extra mcbs in it .
You should get a qualifed electrician to advise you and do the work making sure you get si oghtf their part P certificate that allows them to carry out domestic installations

hope this is of help to you
RR[/url]

Thanks in advance,
hi
you dont haver sockets in your consumer unit (CU) normally the supply will have a switch disconector or an RCD which stands for Residual current device .In your consumer unit you will have probable MCBs which stands for minature circuit breaker .
Hot tubs preferablly should have their own supply if you have no spare ways in your consumer unit you can get an electrican to fit a henley block which will split your main supply so you can add a garage unit with the right size RCD or RCBO which then runs by steel wire armour cable (SWA) to a rotary switch sized to fit you specific hot tub requirements.This must be place 2 metres away from the tub so it cannot be reached by anyone sitting in the tub.
If you require more circuits for your house add a larger CU instead of a small garage unit with extra mcbs in it .
You should get a qualifed electrician to advise you and do the work making sure you get si oghtf their part P certificate that allows them to carry out domestic installations

RR[/url]

D!ck

A post consisting of a quote of a post by ReflexReaction
Your point was?

blank65x10t.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif

A post consisting of a quote of a post by ReflexReaction
Your point was?
Did you read this (admittedly fairly well hidden) bit:
<lots of things>
hi
It was his first post in the forum, so he'd probably not worked oput how to do quoting/replying correctly.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back