Hot tub wiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Would be grateful for any advice on the following;

I am upgrading my hot tub, the last one being a 'plug and play' type (1.5kw heater). My new tub has a 4kw heater.

The existing wiring is a 10m run of 2.5mm flat twin and earth, not insulated or buried (hot tub is indoors) from a 16A mcb from the consumer unit on the RCD side, through a rotary isolator and cable goes through wall into the spa room.

My question is, should i upgrade the wiring or will this suffice for my new 4kw tub?.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
providing no de-rating factors and a suitable installation method ( ie as you said, not in insulation etc ) then 2.5 will be ok, but you'll need to upgrade the breaker to 20A.. 4KW is just over 16.6A at 240V and about 17.4A at 230V ( depending on what the 4KW is based on )

Sponsored Links
does a hot tub come under part P for notification?

it's not a bath, shower, swimming or padling pool or hot air sauna.. so is it still a "special location"?

changing the breaker would though if that was the angle you were aiming at.

This is a bit like the topic of a few weeks ago where people were trying to claim that if you don't use a shower as a shower then a shower isn't a shower.

“special location” means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath,
a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth
edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards
Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2.

The fact that it isn't used for ablutions does not, IMO, mean that a large container full of warm water which is used in exactly the same way, apart from the Radox & Lifebuoy, doesn't count as a bath.

But as you observe, changing the MCB makes it notifiable anyway...

Thank you for your concern over zoning and part p.

When I originally converted the room to a spa room I took the angle that it actually became a bathroom once a tub was installed and as such, used all the correct zoning and IP rating for all surounding electrical fittings etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back