Hot water always on with central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Jsut got a new plce and am looking at the central heating at present (putting Thermostatic valves throughout etc) However it seems that I cannot have central heating on without also heating water. I have managed to find the punp (under floor ... nice!). this is an open system. IN my last house there was switch near my pump that seemed to turn the flow either to the tankl or the central heating.... don't they all have these ....or was it jsut becasue it was a sealed system.

Is not a combi boiler as I have a tank... before someone asks.

:)

Sponsored Links
Simple and cheaper systems were often designed to always heat water when heating is on because only a very odd person would want it any other way.

That system has some temperature control limitations unless a non electric temperature control was used on the cylinder.

It would be possible to make your system fully pumped and with a motor valve or valves and thermostats to make each application fully controled on time and temperature.

Tony

Hi,

Problem is that we only have a 4.5 bed house and only 2 od use in it.

During the summer this is fine we have the system on 1 hour in the monring and 1 hour in the evening.

But in the winter we are using the central heating alot and not using all the ater that is being used. Surely this is a waste ?

Apparently we could change the system to a c-plan system ?

Does that meake sense?

You could, but this doesn't comply with the BIG HOUSE'S regulations on energy efficency. You say you've already put thermostatic rad valves in so you've taken a step forward in complying. The most Cost effective way is a Y- plan or s-plan system which give completely independent control of each system. when one side reaches it's required temp it turns off. No wasting of heated up water

Sponsored Links
Well that sounds good.

So what would I need to fit and to where...

Is it goign to require repiping as most of it is under flooring ?

Surely if we had a cylinder stat and a shut of valve on the hetaing return the circuit will essentially have shut off anyways.

Regards

Ben

in theory your plan should work, but will still require floors coming up for an electrican to run the wires back to the boiler.

As for re-pipin, most definatly, unless your really lucky and the cylinder is the first branch off the heating circuit.
Rite the technical stuff, bearing in mind wot i've said above. bring two pipe's up from boiler (flow, return) into airing cupboard. Y-plan is probably the simplist. take the flow into the bottom of t- piece shaped valve. marked on the valve will be AB, A an B. AB is flow in, A is the pipe to heating. B to Hot Water Cylinder top tapping. this is the hard bit (excluding the wiring of course) the return from the bottom of the system has to be the last return of the heating circuit or your'll get reverse circulation. so more floor boards up etc. And thats a Y- plan in a shortened version

Personally if i was you, any good plumber worth his salt would take up and replace your floor boards with the upmost care. WE ARE THE MULTI TRADESMEN. Carpet re-fitting is another specially :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back