Hot water boiler repair / replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seperate boilers for heating & water, which I prefer in times of trouble, & the central heating boiler was replaced a few years ago.

The hot water boiler is a Main Medway Automatic and is at least 22 years old. It has been trouble free up till now. Recently I have noticed drips of water coming from it (not coming from the O ring on the winter / summer rod assembly)

This morning the water is spluttering & boiling from the tap, and there are traces of what I think is rust in the water (not in the cold). My questions to the experts are:

Is this a fixable problem?

If it needs replacing, which hot water only boiler would you reccomend? another Main?

Sponsored Links
sounds like the water section is sticking causing the multipoint water heater (not a boiler) to stay lit with no water flowing thru the taps. I would either strip and clean the water section and renew the diaphram or buy a new water heater. Turn the gas off to it for now as it could blow!The Rinnai 16i would be a good replacement.

Dangermouse, thanks for your reply. I will turn off the gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back