Repair or replace boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a standard (vented/ indirect hot water tank) system. Over the last few years the efficiency of the boiler (sited in the kitchen) has plummeted.
On cold days the water from the boiler is only hand hot at the water pump (1st floor airing cupboard) but is enough to heat the hot water during the summer. The boiler thermostat (probe into the combustion area) has been replace to no effect. I have recently used descaler on the system with no improvement
The boiler is an Ideal 'E' and over 30 years old so has probably paid for its keep.
I am thinking of having the boiler replaced together with the lower pipe runs as they do not have proper drain points. Am I thinking on the right lines?
I was thinking of a WS 40CDI boiler until I read your comments on difficulty of repairing their boilers. Which boilers should I be looking at? The house is a 3 bed large semi with solid walls and we are thinking about a loft extension. Looking for a wall mounted SEDBUC A rated unit closer to 98% efficiency that is simple to repair and will give another 30 years!

Sponsored Links
Looking for a wall mounted SEDBUC A rated unit closer to 98% efficiency that is simple to repair and will give another 30 years!
aren't we all! sorry to bust your bubble but there is not a Band A boiler that will last 30 years lucky if it lasts 10

but the better boilers are Worcester Bosch, Vaillant and Atag
personally use the vaillants look at ECOTEC 400 / 600 series

ATAG will give a warranty/service plan for 15 years if you want to pay for the privelege.

ATAG are THE best. I wouldn't consider WB

Thanks for the replies guys, I will check out Vaillent & ATAG. Are either manufactured in this country by chance?
Kevin, I see you are a solar installer. Are hot water/ photo voltaic systems economic (as opposed to environmentally good) to use yet?
Finally does copper piping have a life (I mean death really!)? They are solder jointed and range from 20 to 30 years old now.

Sponsored Links
I always find it amusing to see someone who has been using a seriously outdated boiler for the last 10 years who now wants to upgrade to something that the industry does not even yet produce.

There is a wealth of information on the internet for you to read but asking just a very few people on here will get you some personal viewpoints but not explain the whole picture.

You could start by reading the major manufacturer's web sites but always taking into account the fact that they are promoting their own products. Also look at CHP although no one in the industry would recommend anyone to buy it yet until its reliability has been established.

A three bed semi is not large enough to best benefit from the wealth of good systems as a 4-6 bed detached with greater needs makes the exercise more beneficial if there are several people living there but the reality of those house is that its usually just a wealthy older couple.

Solar and PV does not have any payback if professionally installed and is for fools or those who are happy to invest to reduce CO² emissions.

Solar saves the average family of four about £100-£150 per annum and costs from about £2000-£5000. The correct way to consider it is that the capital is funded at a typical long term interest rate of say 6%. Those with capital in the bank giving little interest could spend it on capital but will be kicking themselves in a few years if interest rates shoot up to 10% again.

I can say this because, although I am an accredited solar installer, I do not recommend fitting them just to line my pocket. I like to ensure anyone contemplating solar fully understands what it can and cannot do.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I'm glad I brought a smile to your face.
There is so much publicity on solar energy but I could never get the sums to add up. You have confirmed that it is still not economic.
Yes the boiler is seriously outdated but it gave 25 years service without any faults apart from one or two diverter valves and pumps needing to be replaced. I'm not confident that the replacement will perform so well (comments from Kevin) or that the fuel savings will offset the capital costs, so what was the justification for replacing it before? Now the kitchen needs replacing it is all coming together

Kevin, I see you are a solar installer. Are hot water/ photo voltaic systems economic (as opposed to environmentally good) to use yet?
Finally does copper piping have a life (I mean death really!)? They are solder jointed and range from 20 to 30 years old now.

first solar no it isn't cost effective in the shortterm and anyone who says it is misselling in my opinion.

Average cost of £4-5K annual saving on hot water in a normal house around £200 as i have said before through the summer yes the water will heat to a comfortable 80+degrees, in the spring /autumn temps vary from 35 to 60 depending on the cloud cover etc and in the winter an average 25 to 40 is achieved most days this topped up by the boiler gives a saving on gas consumed. obviously size and direction of collector, size of cylinder and usage all have a bearing on how much gain you will get
i am honest with people and try and sell it on eco grounds not cost savings

can't advise on PV as i only do the water side

as for the question of copper /solder. copper can become brittle/pin holed if water is contaminated. solder drys out although it seldom breaks without being manhandled (i'm sure some pipes should carry the warning "touch me if you dare") :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back