Help me decide! Replace or repair existing condensing boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Bosch Condensing System Boiler. The fan has gone. It's 20 years old but otherwise working fine. Please help me decide the best option to go with:

Repair current boiler for £360 using WB repair service
OR
Replace with Viessmann boiler for a total cost of around £1550.

Considerations:
WB boiler is high quality and condensing, so efficiency benefits will not be massive?
At 20 years old, it might be more likely faults will start occuring in coming years?
The aluminium heat exchanger does not perform as well as it used to (efficiency drops over time?) and I will get a stainless steel one with Viessmann
Cost difference

Sponsored Links
I’d go with the repair imo - Worcester I believe offer a good service

You're unlikely to recoup the cost of replacing the boiler in energy savings, so it comes down to how reliable your current one is really. If this is a one off failure then repair it, if it's becoming a pattern then it might be time to replace. I'd be wary of anyone offering to supply & for a Viessmann in London for £1550 though, that looks suspiciously cheap and you may not end up with a good job

You're unlikely to recoup the cost of replacing the boiler in energy savings, so it comes down to how reliable your current one is really. If this is a one off failure then repair it, if it's becoming a pattern then it might be time to replace. I'd be wary of anyone offering to supply & for a Viessmann in London for £1550 though, that looks suspiciously cheap and you may not end up with a good job
This is its third failure (fan went about ten years ago and a trap filling mode issue). It's also unable to reach temperatures as high as it used to so might inefficient (could be due to system full of sludge as rads are cooler in lower section)? Also, it's very difficult to remove the cover as pipes block where it needs to attach, which puts off some companies from doing work. Do you not think at 20 years old, when it has exceeded it expected life, replacement should be seriously considered?

Sponsored Links
I was in more or less the same situation.
Replaced the fan, worked for a couple of months, then diverter valve went.
Couple of months later the (secondary?) Heat exchanger failed and 3 heating engineers told me that it was time to replace, so I did.
New boilers come with 10 years warranty.
Also, I subscribed to boxt service for roughly £120/year which includes a service.
That way I'm sure that anything that happens in the next decade won't be my problem.

I was in more or less the same situation.
Replaced the fan, worked for a couple of months, then diverter valve went.
Couple of months later the (secondary?) Heat exchanger failed and 3 heating engineers told me that it was time to replace, so I did.
New boilers come with 10 years warranty.
Also, I subscribed to boxt service for roughly £120/year which includes a service.
That way I'm sure that anything that happens in the next decade won't be my problem.
May I know which boiler you previously had, its age and which one you replaced it with?

I had a Worcester bosch 28i junior and replaced it with a Worcester bosch 32 cdi compact.
Same dimensions, so they didn't have to break anything, flue in the same hole and pipes more or less in same place.
I went for a bigger capacity because in the years we added 2 extensions to the house, so more radiators and also needed a better hot water flow in the loft conversion.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I had a Worcester bosch 28i junior and replaced it with a Worcester bosch 32 cdi compact.
Same dimensions, so they didn't have to break anything, flue in the same hole and pipes more or less in same place.
I went for a bigger capacity because in the years we added 2 extensions to the house, so more radiators and also needed a better hot water flow in the loft conversion.
Sounds like it got really unreliable but it is a combi so has a shorter life than other types and with your extensions there was more demand from it.

Sounds like it got really unreliable but it is a combi so has a shorter life than other types and with your extensions there was more demand from it.
20 years is a good run in my books.
Hopefully this one will go to that length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back