Water leak inside boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Combi Halstead Ace - 6 years old
serviced less than 1 month ago

just turned on my heating, within about 5 minutes of the boiler firing up i heard the unmistakable sound of water spraying from somewhere!

i reacted by turning off the boiler at the mains and killing the water supply underneath the boiler, i opened the front panel, no sign of any water, then heard a dripping sound coming from the side of the boiler, it appears there is water coming out through the seal around the combustion chamber? Is there something which could have burst in there?

Should i leave it sealed up and phone the company who serviced it at end of Feb? Trouble with that is no hot water and no heating till after easter

all help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Nothing you can do really, unless it's the automatic air vent which is above the heat exchanger on the left. If it's the heat exchanger itself, that's bad news.

The water is leaking down the left side of the boiler running down and dripping out of the front left corner.
What is the automatic air vent and how could water be leaking from it?

Could the chap who serviced my boiler have accidently caught anything when he was hoovering inside?

ok, the water is coming out of a clear hose at the top of the automatic air vent and leaking down the side of the boiler, does that mean the vent is fuked and needs replacing?

Sponsored Links
If water is coming out of combustion chamber seal then water could be in the burner :eek:

Turn it off immediately and call out a RGI.

Can't think of anything anyone could 'catch' with a hoover to make it leak, especially after a month.

Just bad luck for you.

AAV - check the FAQ and the boiler manual.

how could water be leaking from it
V common. Cheap and nasty component as used on all boilers!

Could the chap who serviced my boiler have accidently caught anything when he was hoovering inside?
No.

You need a new AAV.

its def. the aav, have checked the boiler manual

approx cost to replace aav by a plumber?

cheers for the feedback,

once the AAV has gone is it gone for good, should i try firing the boiler back up or leave it off till after easter and the part can be replaced?

If you have got all the air out of the system, you could, as a VERY temporary measure, shut the black cap on the top of the aav (if yours has one) until a replacement can be fitted asap.

ok, will give that a go, do i just bleed the rad's to get the air out of the system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back