Hot water but no heating - PROBLEM SOLVED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got a new condensing boiler installed about a year ago. It is a LogiMax H15. When I turn the heating knob (hehe) on the boiler unit then a radiator symbol comes on screen, flashes a few times and goes away again.

We have hot water generated by this boiler but no heating. All the radiators have been bled and are full.

The panel thing in the airing cupboard appears to work as the hot water can be turned off and on there. The heating also can be.

We have a thermostat thing on the wall. It clicks when you turn it up to about 14 degrees. Could this be the problem?.

We also had a brand new bathroom installed last month. This included a new radiator in there. It seems unlikely but could they have turned off something without me realising?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

---- KEY INFORMATION ----

Boiler produces hot water
All electrics work fine
Thermostat clicks when you turn it up
No heating though - all radiators have water in
We recently had a bathroom change which involved a change of radiator
The bathroom sink tap has poor pressure since the new bathroom
Not sure if this is connected though

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Did the heating work before the bathroom was installed?

Yea it did. I hadn't used it since around Feb/March but it was working fine

Potentially unrelated but also the water from the bathroom sink tap is very weak now. Only that tap. The bath is fine and all other taps are fine.

I've lost count of the number of times I've had to go and sort out no heating or hot water after bathrooms or kitchens have been fitted!

If work was done by builders and not plumbers then that's likely your problem.
Get them back and suggest they bring a plumber with them!

Sponsored Links
I've lost count of the number of times I've had to go and sort out no heating or hot water after bathrooms or kitchens have been fitted!

If work was done by builders and not plumbers then that's likely your problem.
Get them back and suggest they bring a plumber with them!

It was my GF's Dad who did the work. Unfortunately he lives about 4 hours up north.

The good thing is that there is no floor still so we can still get to the floor boards.

I'm confused as to how all water may be running. We have hot water. How can the bathroom stop the heating working?

I'm confused as to how all water may be running. We have hot water. How can the bathroom stop the heating working?

You said bathroom had a new rad which would likely involve draining down the system... This is where problems begin.

Poor flow from basin taps... Check for kinked supply hoses or debris in the filter.

Photos and details of your heating controls would help.

Pictures for you - hopefully they're not too big and clunky...

Our boiler- as stated, appears to work fine, produces hot water, has electricity etc...

1.boiler.jpg

Front of boiler - the radiator symbol here flashes a few times when you play with the dial on the right. The symbol turns off after a few flashes.

2.boiler.jpg

Thermostat - no idea if this is an issue, if you turn it up past 13/14 it clicks on

3.thermostat.jpg

Control Panel in airing cupboard and other bits - Lots of pipes, all the twisty dials are open I think.
The control panel works in terms of turning things on there like HW and Heating
There is a little square thing just at the bottom, not sure what that does

4.airing cupboard.jpg

Little square thing

5.unknown thing.jpg

Control Panel - hot water and heating supposedly on

6.control_panel.jpg

'Little square thing' is a motorised valve, this control where the flow from the boiler goes, into the hot water cylinder, round the radiators or both. If it's not been used all Summer it has possibly jammed in the Hot Water W position. (Indicator on the front should be marked W (hot water), M (Mid position, open to both ports), and H (central heating), see where it's sitting.

If stuck at W, with heating switched on, gently operate the little black lever on the side, (dont force it), this is designed to open it manually to both ports. Check pipe on right hand side on the H port, this feeds the radiators. Does it get hot?

'Little square thing' is a motorised valve, this control where the flow from the boiler goes, into the hot water cylinder, round the radiators or both. If it's not been used all Summer it has possibly jammed in the Hot Water W position. (Indicator on the front should be marked W (hot water), M (Mid position, open to both ports), and H (central heating), see where it's sitting.

If stuck at W, with heating switched on, gently operate the little black lever on the side, (dont force it), this is designed to open it manually to both ports. Check pipe on right hand side on the H port, this feeds the radiators. Does it get hot?

You're a genius, it worked! The lever was only on the W side. I moved it over to the middle and the radiators are now boiling hot!

Thank you to you and everyone who helped with this. I've had a terrible week and a broken boiler/no heating was really not needed. Really appreciate everyone replying.

Keep an eye on it, whilst you've got it working for now, it may well be sticking in one position. I seize up if I stay in the same position for more than a few minutes, that's been stuck in the same position for several months....

I've been out on a job and Hugh kindly stepped in. (y)
We needed to see what kit you had rather than your descriptions of "thingys" ;).
You'll want to play around with switching the system between hot water / heating /both and see if the motorised valve does its thing and moves between the 3 settings.
If it gets stuck again, you'll need to replace the actuator which is a very simple and common job to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back