Hot water cuts out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

Please help me with some advice on my Worcester 9.24 Electronic Combi boiler. I have never had to deal with boiler problems before and I am unsure what to do.

Previous minor problems include consistent fall in pressure over several months which I would correct periodically by turning the valve and raising it again.

Now when you turn on the hot tap or shower the boiler will light up 'demand' for a short while then shut off again providing nothing but freezing water.

Central heating is on a timer and seems to be fine, hot water demand appears to work when central heating is on and hence already providing hot water.

The boiler is approx 13 years old.

Can you please advise me if you think this is a major fault or not? Should I get an engineer out to have a look or is it something simple I am doing wrong?

Is it worth joining one of these breakdown cover schemes provided by British Gas or npower??

Please help I really don't know what to do??

Many thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
Are you in Andover?

It sounds as if your diverter valve is failing! You can look at it and see if the pin is moving and operating the switch when the DHW flow rate exceeds 2.5 li/min.

Its very questionable if its really worth repairing. It would cost about £106 to repair or £190 to replace in London. In Andover you will be subject to fewer engineers and some dont like repairing older boilers which are better replaced.

But even after a repair it will still be a model nearly 20 years old !!! They do seem to be a long lived boiler but spares are starting to become harder to find.

Tony

wiltshiresr2.jpg

Agile said:
Are you in Andover?
Are you f*cking nuts?!

Greystone said:
The boiler is approx 13 years old.
Agile said:
But even after a repair it will still be nearly 20 years old
twirl.gif

I said the MODEL was nearly 20 years old ! Not his boiler which he says is only 13 y.o.

Why dont you read what I write?

And Tim, I really do not appreciate your bad language!

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I said the MODEL was nearly 20 years old ! Not his boiler which he says is only 13 y.o.
No you didn't.

Why dont you read what I write?
I read it, and I quoted it. In the meantime you changed it.
You do it all the time - stop trying to pretend you didn't.

I really do not appreciate your bad language!
Well f*ck off then.

Thanks Tony,

I am not in Andover - I have booked an engineer to come and have a look as I really need some hot water - have to see what they say I suppose.

Thank you for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back