Hot water cylinder - 15mm cold return?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts!

I just wanted to see if anyone could provide some insight on what seems to me a slightly weird bit of plumbing on my hot water cylinder.

The cold return from the coil is reduced from a 1" fitting down to a 15mm pipe immediately on exiting the cylinder, only to be changed up to a 22mm pipe a short distance away.

Photo shows the 15mm length of pipe (one end has a 28mm to 15mm reducer which connects to the 28mm to 1" coupler that fits the cylinder, while the other end leads to a 22mm to 15mm reducer used in reverse to connect to 22mm pipe).

I was thinking of binning that and changing the run to be 22mm all round, is it worth it?

Given that the pipes for all the other connections are 22mm what (if any) negative effect would having this 15mm reduced flow have?

Any insight on why this might have been done like this?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
With a pumped system a short length of 15 mm is usually adequate to provide enough flow through the cylinder coil.

Yours has a lockshield valve for setting the flow as well although just that length of 15mm is probably adequate to cause sufficient restriction.

The valve should technically be set to give the required differential in accordance with the boiler requirements.

In practice its a compromise as the setting would be different between HW only and HW plus CH.

Having an auto bypass theoretically helps but practically upsets the differential.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back