Hot water cylinder change (part 2)

C

chrissib

OK the fix lasted some time but finally gave out. I bought another cylinder which I have now installed ok.

I have lovely hot water, however, the new tank seems to be too efficient. Water heats up in no time and is much hotter than before. The old tank was much, much heavier and I had 'wrap around' lagging. The new tank is much lighter, and has an 'inbuilt' foam jacket.

Two questions... a) could the water be getting hotter because the thermostat is strapped to the outside of the foam, not to the bare copper tank. Worried about the water getting too hot, boiling or bursting...??
b) slightly different question, I am not using the heating side of the system now, but with only the boiler heating the water, is it normal for the central heating pump to be running the whole time??

Regards Chrissib

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Take a sharp craft knife and cut out a rectangle of foam, clean up the exposed copper and fit the 'stat against that. It's supposed to measure the temperature of the water, not the outside of the foam! Fit it a little way above the bottom of the coil.

ok thanks 'Rigidraider' for the only sensible comment/help... The rest just reminded me why I don't usually use this forum... all you get back are sarcastic comments..

Cut out like this
P1030022.jpg

Looks like this
P1030035.jpg

OK the fix lasted some time but finally gave out. I bought another cylinder which I have now installed ok.

I have lovely hot water, however, the new tank seems to be too efficient. Water heats up in no time and is much hotter than before. The old tank was much, much heavier and I had 'wrap around' lagging. The new tank is much lighter, and has an 'inbuilt' foam jacket.

Two questions... a) could the water be getting hotter because the thermostat is strapped to the outside of the foam, not to the bare copper tank. Worried about the water getting too hot, boiling or bursting...??
b) slightly different question, I am not using the heating side of the system now, but with only the boiler heating the water, is it normal for the central heating pump to be running the whole time??

Regards Chrissib

stat should be straped to the copper on the tank not the insulation approx 1/3 from the bottom of the cylinder and set to 60 degrees
and regarding the pump, it depends what type of system you have... fully pumped, or gravity, sounds like you have fully pumped so yes it is normall, do you have a two/three port valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back