hot water cylinder may be too small :(.... advice needed pl

I would never install a Megaflow.

The OSO doesn't have the internal baffle (which has been known to fail of Megaflows). The OSO you see in our pics is the older style where you can (if you ask OSO nicely install a variable pressure reducing valve that allows you to crank up the pressure (hence the two large EVs next to mine.

Both are stainless steel so shouldn't be a issue for either.

Both Norcon's and mine are twin coil cylinders designed for solar systems.

Dunno about N's, but mine had both coils joined together to improve reheat times and make the most of the boiler power.

Price is very subjective on Forums. But one of my favourite phrases for specifying jobs - Champagne Ideas, Beer money. If you want to have the best performance - it will cost. But different companies have differing overheads.

Sponsored Links
dan got this email from the megaflow technical chap....what do you think?....

Thank you for the enquiry, our new range of cylinders will be of commercialgrade & will be over specified (& expensive) for a domestic installation.Based on 7 bedroom with 4 showers I would suggest the Megaflo eco "direct"cylinder would be a more suitable installation. With two showers running at 20 litres per minute blended 13 litres hot with7 litres cold (approximately) each shower would use 65 litres of hot waterfor every 5 minutes of showering time i.e. 130 litres. On the assumptionthat other members of the family may also be using these showers I wouldsuggest considering installing two 300 litre cylinders connected inparallel each with three 3kW immersion heaters (model 300DDD - product code95:050:474) This would give you approximately 500 litres of hot water atany one time with a recovery time of approx. 97 minutes if all threeimmersion are switched on in each cylinder. The weight, when full, of each 300 litre cylinder will be 358 kg.

97 mins to reheat 500 litres @ 9kW? Not got my maths head on, so happy to be corrected - but that sounds ambitious and implies no interim draw off.

This is the first mention of a Direct only system and has a big impact on the design, list of of options and feasibility .

Its a 300 li to reheat in 97min which sounds about right.

But the OP needs to start at the beginning and decide how many showers are required in a three hour period!

If £26k frightens him then he has no chance!

People with 20 li/min showers have an unlimited budget for installation and the £10k p.a. to run it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
It amuses me that people want fancy houses and then have to take in lodgers to pay for it!

Standard three phase 100 A per phase !

Perhaps he has already had it upgraded?

But two 300 li cylinders will not give him four 20 minute showers when kitchen and hand basin use is added!

As the OP has too much money to spend then I hope he got his PV cells fitted before last month!

Agile...... up till now i have been getting knowledgable answers and solutions and then you come along and start making silly comments!... what a complete dork!... either be helpful or dont post!... were here to gain knowledge and get useful advice from so called experts like yourself!
Ofcourse money and budget constraints are always an issue and whether projects are feesable in any size shape or form especially in a big property! and gaining this knowledge will determine whether things can be tweaked or altered accordingly. so please be more sensitive to peoples situations rather than gob off and state your bias/unsensitive opinions!
p.s don't reply to this message if things are just gonna get nasty and your just gonna hurl abuse in the next few messages!!

I clearly explained what electricity supply you would require to run 18 kW of immersion heaters and other household appliances.

When people give you good free advice instead of being grateful all you do is become rude and abusive.

Quite clearly you dont want to pay a professional and just come here for free advice to save you money.

It would be good if the other professionals here could see you for what you are and did not give any further advice.

Tony

hope these replies to all your question will help you guys in helping me sort this dilema out.
spoke to the Hansgrohe chap and he just said that i should contact the heating design engineer for this solution. but all the experience i have had in the past with plumbers is that their ok for any mainstream bog standard installations and anything slightly complicated they tend to shake their heads and just disappear!...... pls someone help :(
Note that you mentioned TWO trades there - although there is considerable overlap.

The Hansgrohe chap is completely correct - if you aren't in a position to design it yourself (your questions and attitude demonstrate you are not) then you will need to consult a heating design engineer. A plumber is generally the guy that fits stuff - but he should also be capable of doing designs for most "common" types of installations. A heating design engineer will do all the calculations to ensure that you get something that will work.

I write as a disinterested party - my day job is nothing to do with plumbing or heating, I only do a bit of plumbing for DIY purposes. There are some well seasoned professionals who have been trying to help you - but all you've done is criticise them for expecting you to have some idea of what you are asking them to design for you (for free I might point out). They aren't asking about flow rate and pressure to be awkward, they are asking because these things are critical to a design. "Brilliant" is not a measure. Get it wrong and you could find your "amazing" flow is just inadequate and your showers "disappointing" :rolleyes:
Now, if you have no idea how to find out the information they are asking for, then just say so and I'm sure someone will point you to instructions.

Now, speaking personally, I think you are way OTT thinking about those water guzzling shower heads - and especially four of them. It's not affecting us up here in the North West, but I gather you guys in the south are finding water a tad short. I'll give you a hint - it's probably not going to be getting better with the constant increase in number of people/homes. Of course, if every new/refurbished house fits showers that will allow them to get through 1200l/day in water (20l/min x 15 min = 300l, x 4 showers = 1200l) then that's going to make the problem a lot worse.

Back to your issue though - 20l/min means a minimum of about 50kW by my reckoning (that's 20/60 l/s x 35˚ x 4.2, where 35˚ is potentially the temperature rise needed in winter, and 4.2 is the specific heat capacity of water. If you wanted to heat them directly then that would need a supply capable of 200kW to run 4 showers - so forget about instantaneous heating (eg combi boilers) unless you have an enormous gas supply. It also means you need a considerable amount of stored hot water - because unless you put a huge heating capacity in, then you'll still be mostly using stored heat. You can't necessarily rely on the heat added by the boilers while you are drawing off - it depends on the overall design as to whether the heat will keep you with usable heat at the top of the cylinder or leave you with a cylinder full of lukewarm water. The figures given earlier suggested a 2:1 ratio between hot and cold, so your 1200l/day becomes a requirement for about 800l of stored hot water and anything up to 1200l of stored cold water depending on your available mains flow rate :eek:
Of course, if you reduce any of the figures (20l/min flow rate, 15 minutes/shower, 4 showers going on at once or in short space of time) then you can reduce that.

You might also like to ponder what your proposed system might cost to run. 1/2m^3 of water, and 50kWHr of heat every day.

For comparison, since I seldom see such figures quoted ...

We have a low head shower, with all of about 2m head. The hose is a large bore job, and the head itself is for low head. While it's never going to be invigorating, the shower is adequate but takes just 4 1/2 to 5 l/min. That's on the "normal" middle setting on the head - I didn't measure the "gentle" setting which I'd assume would take less, or the "jet" setting which probably takes about the same.

Dan_Robinson managed to get flow and pressure readings...... the property has pressure of 2.4bar and flow (with no other taps/appliances running) is 16lt/mins. i don't know how this would fair if i installed say a GAH 300lt accumulator. :rolleyes:

used the following tools to measure the parameters at the outside garden water tap which is on the other side of the newly fitted 32mm MDP pipework and stop valve:-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-eco-water-pressure-test-gauge-10bar/53626

http://www.test-meter.co.uk/products/hvacr-plumbing-gas/flow-pressure/anton-flowmate-ii/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back