Hot Water Cylinder on Economy 7 coming on during peak hours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture3.jpg
Hi all,

Just as a bit of background, I live in a 2 bedroom ground floor apartment. There’s no gas and everything runs off electric. I’ve been here 5 years and have always had fairly high electric bills (around £180 per month and can go higher in the winter). I’ve got night storage heaters in every room although not all of them are turned on.

Around 3 years ago, my hot water cylinder gave up the ghost. The electrician came out and said he’d repaired the elements before and that it would now need replacing. So I got a new cylinder installed. The electric cost has continued to be high and not changed.

The cupboard housing the cylinder is generally always closed but I’d left the door wide open today and happened to be walking past it at around 2pm and could hear it boiling away which I thought was odd as it should not be on at that time!

Just to double, I flicked off the bottom switch on the wall which is a hard wired to the bottom element in the tank and sure enough, the water stopped heating.

Does anyone have any ideas? One of the other guys in my apartment block was complaining to me the other day that his electric was £300 per month so I’m wondering if we’ve got a problem somewhere in the building between the peak and off peak rate? I can’t see any reason why my water would be heating during the day time unless I don't understand the principal of how this all works (which is possible!)

There's no timer anywhere as you can see so it's just hard wired in to the wall.

I’ve attached some pictures.

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I think the time is set by your E7 meter, I guess it's irrelevant what actual time it comes on as you'll still be charged E7 rates, even though the clock is a mile out.

Might be worth you speaking to your energy provider.

I think the time is set by your E7 meter, I guess it's irrelevant what actual time it comes on as you'll still be charged E7 rates, even though the clock is a mile out.

Might be worth you speaking to your energy provider.
Thanks. I'm not certain that it is doing this every day though. Is there any possible way something could be faulty with it somewhere or wired up incorrectly?

Sponsored Links
Sorry about the flash. Hopefully it won't be in the way of anything you need to see and thanks for looking.

You have a radio telemeter, so the electric company can decide when your tariff switches. It won't necessarily be at set times.

I guess the bit I’m also having a problem with is if it was down to the tariff switching, why would it not have switched straight back on when I turned the wall switch back on? All I did was flick it off and back on again and it stopped heating up.

The upper switch is clearly marked 'Electronic Timer' o_O. Maybe you have to press its 'Boost' button to reset it?
Thanks Alec_t, yes, that only controls the boost option if you want to use the boost. And then depending how many times you press it, it will come on for either half an hour, one hour or two hours or off again if you press it 4 times.

it just seemed weird that it came on by it’s own accord during the middle of the day.

So just as an update to this. I’ve spoken to bulb(my electric supplier) today who agree that it should only come on between 0:00 and 07:00. I’ve taken a video of cylinder today powered on and also a video of the meter showing the red lights flashing on both the peak and off peak at the same time at 2:30 this afternoon.

sorry but you would be as well asking the neighbours dog as asking Bulb, you need to call Northern Electric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back