Hot Water Cylinder - Overflow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, the Hot Water Cylinder has been overflowing into the Cold Water Storage tank via a return pipe - which does not stop until I turn the power off to the cylinder.

I changed the heating element nearly 2yrs ago, when the old one died. It has a built in thermostat, and slots in from the top of the cylinder.

I would be extremely grateful and really appreciate it, if anyone can help me resolve this problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gasguru - Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to just change the thermostat or do I have to replace the entire heating element? The marking on it says 'PULLIN' and I bought it from B&Q.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
yes its fitted in a dry pocket and is seperate ;)

Thank you, Thank you! At present, I could not possibly handle changing the element as the nut on top of the cylinder is a b*stard to open.

Out of curiosity - Are these cylinders pressurised? I ask because this is the second time in 4yrs that something has gone wrong with the element/thermostat...am I doing something wrong?

kevplumb said:
no it depends on the water incalloy or titanium sheathed cost more but last longer ;)

If I read you correctly - If I get a titanium sheathed element which would last considerably longer (4-5yrs?) Presumably, lifetime of the thermostat should be same?

Titanium element should last a lot longer given the price thay are - never fitted one as customers baulk at the price.

The themostat is a seperate item and can last from a day! (for one of my customers) to several years.

johnnycab said:
kevplumb said:

I could not possibly handle changing the element as the nut on top of the cylinder is a b*stard to open.
Not if you ,or someone you employ knows how to do it correctly ;) Tho` some "plumbers" see the job as an easy way to a new cylinder£££

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back