Hot Water Cylinder Replacement.Help needed !?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace the hot water cylinder cos its just about to start leaking big time..

However I see there are loads of diffrent ones...direct , indeirect , vented and unvented...

So let me discribe my system then someone could tell me what I have.

1 hot water copper tank fed via the bottom from a cold water tank.

The tank its self has the following pipe work outlets..

to the rear of the tank two pipes these feed to the the boiler so im guessing these bring hot water from the boiler into some sort of coil (im guessing this is the indirect part)
Two other pipes are also present...one coming out the top (feeds the hot water taps ) this one has a T in it and an overflow into the cold water storage tank.The other pipe is at the bottom and feeds from the cold water tank.The electric water heater fits in the top of the tank but im guessing thats a standard thing.

Relly the only bit of info I need is what type of system is this Vented or Unvented?

Also the tank im guesing will be 10 years old or so will i need to change the fittings as the threads and sizes might be diffrent??

Cheers for any help in advance.

FLY

Sponsored Links
Standard open vented cylinder - measure it and ask in the merchants for the necessary fittings for the tappings.

Remember the insulation adds a couple of inches to the width - quoted dimensions are for the metal - not hte lagging.

Will I have to change the fittings on my exsisting pipe work?

Cylinder is a YorkiLag

Cheers

FLY

Sponsored Links
Yes it is very very rare that a new cylinder will fit existing pipe work :cry:

How can you say what it is ?????
Could be a single feed.
How many cold water tanks in loft or wherever ?

I think OP has given a very clear description of what he has :eek:

gas4you said:
I think OP has given a very clear description of what he has :eek:
Read it again and that could be a single feed cylinder...............................

So let me discribe my system then someone could tell me what I have.

1 hot water copper tank fed via the bottom from a cold water tank.

The tank its self has the following pipe work outlets..

to the rear of the tank two pipes these feed to the the boiler so im guessing these bring hot water from the boiler into some sort of coil (im guessing this is the indirect part)
Two other pipes are also present...one coming out the top (feeds the hot water taps ) this one has a T in it and an overflow into the cold water storage tank.The other pipe is at the bottom and feeds from the cold water tank.The electric water heater fits in the top of the tank but im guessing thats a standard thing.

The way it reads is that the op has a cold water tank (f&e) and a cold water storage tank kind of ruling out a primatic. I wouldn't rule them out due to age though I could show you 200 primatics fitted on wau circs fitted within the last 5 years from my window here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back