Hot water cylinder replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi at this very moment i am trying to replace my hot water cylinder have drained the tank turned of the mains so no water what so ever coming out of taps but when I try to disconnect the pipe from the cylinder out of the boiler supply whole there is lots of soapy water coming out at pretty high pressure where is this water coming from how do I stop it or drain it?

Sponsored Links
you've drained the tank, have you drained the heating side from the rads ?

no had a feeling I might have to do this my radiators dont have any outlets to drain them just bleed bit would you drain it from these or can I isolate it all from somewhere else?

Sponsored Links
no had a feeling I might have to do this my radiators dont have any outlets to drain them just bleed bit would you drain it from these or can I isolate it all from somewhere else? or can I just shut the valves of and try and drain from the pipe in the cylinder.

you can drain it from one of your lowest rads then fit a draincock at the same time.

if you want to be there alday.
otherwise from one of the radiator valve.
shut both the valves on a rad that you wish to fit the draincock and drain the rad then when the rads drained you can undo the rad valve from the rad and drain the system.
theres a few different ways to go about it.

dont wanna sound too dumb lol so i close both the valves then how do I drain it? am i supposed to fit the cock before I drain it if so how will i do it without water going everywhere.

get yourself a bowl or tray (paint tray) that will fit under the rad valve.
shut both rad valves, then slacken the nut between the valve and the rad and that will drain the rad.

uncouple the rad, drain it.

Fit hose to rad valve, drain CH system

Cut pipe going to rad and fit a t piece with a drain off it.

Change cylinder.

Although, by you lack on knowhow I might recommend getting in a plumber....does house insurance cover DIY disasters???

ok thx just wanted to make sure did not wanna go wrong anywhere thx for your help will give you an update on how it went later or you can catch me on diy sos lol cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back