Hot water cylinder stop valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to change my bathroom sink and when I have looked at the stop valve at the bottom of the hot water cylinder, there is no wheel to close the valve. When you look at the valve you can see a square nut inside, but you need a socket that fits inside to turn the nut. What kind of socket do I need to close the valve, it's a mystery.
If I can't close the vave, could I empty the cylinder to do the job?
I moved into my bungalow 2yrs and I have only just found this issue.
I hope someone knows the problem.
Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
take a picture, it could be the drain point you're looking at if it's at the bottom.
your isolation valve cold well be up in the loft on one of the outlets.

Maybe a multi 4 way key is what you need - but if you can stop the water flowing into the large header tank in the loft (by holding the ball valve up with some string) you can run off as much water as you need.
John :)

Maybe a multi 4 way key is what you need - but if you can stop the water flowing into the large header tank in the loft (by holding the ball valve up with some string) you can run off as much water as you need.
John :)

or bung the outlet, that way you wont need to drain the tank (y)

Sponsored Links
Hi, thank you for your replies. I have just found that it is a Lockshield gate valve. Can you please tell me what I need to do to close the valve?
Thanks Dave

Take the shroud off and use a shifter.
As Dan said, ...You probably have the wrong valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back