Hot water cylinder temp fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

After a month of annoying heating/hot water problems we have figured out the coil in our very old hwc as broken and letting hot water into ch system.

I have a new cylinder (exact size so should be straight swap) coming tuesday.

This may sound stupid but just want to make sure im not going to create a stupid problem. Is it OK to connect the coil inlet and outlet together so I can run the CH?

Whilst im competent to replace old pipework like for like to change something I always like a outside view.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes..but is it worth it?

To drain down the system, do the loop.. And then drain it again Tuesday.

Sponsored Links
Or even better fit some isolating valves for future maintenance

Managed to borrow a electric heater so just going to drain it in prep for Tuesday. Just been told it could be here tomorrow so as you said don't see the point in draining it twice for a little bit of CH.

thanks for the help.

To spread the time taken into smaller time slots I would have used isolating valves so you could run the system and then just connect to them and open the valves when the cylinder is connected.

You should always have an adjustable valve on the coil to balance the coil against the heating.

Tony

To spread the time taken into smaller time slots I would have used isolating valves so you could run the system and then just connect to them and open the valves when the cylinder is connected.

You should always have an adjustable valve on the coil to balance the coil against the heating.

Tony

OK,

New tank has arrived. As its Stainless Steel it has 22mm compression fittings and not 1" BSP for outlet.

I currently have a whole house pump fed from a surrey flange. The top of the flange connects to vent and the side goes to pump then taps/shower.

The new tank has a fairly high Essex flange fitted as standard. Would it be best to connect this to pump and top to vent?

Hope my explanation is clear.

Thanks again

Yes, no reason not to use the essex flange, and vent as normal.

To minimise any air into the pump, taking the feed from the essex should do that.

I recently had a cylinder coil leak and the heating sucked out all 40 years of sediment out of the cylinder and dumped it in heating system. So give the system a good flushing before fitting the cylinder.

It is an rm stainless steel. Was easy to install only issue was tight space behind the cylinder to plumb the Essex flange in.

Have two issues still if anyone can help.

1. The gate valve on the cold storage tank to the cylinder is dripping. Have replaced the olive and pipe but still s very slow drip. Should I just replace the gate valve?

2. My cylinder thermostat (danfoss type at) is not stopping the boiler. Anything to check? I never changed any wiring.

Cheers guys.

1. The gate valve on the cold storage tank to the cylinder is dripping. Have replaced the olive and pipe but still s very slow drip. Should I just replace the gate valve?
If the valve closes properly with minimum twisting effort then no need to replace. Dripping from where? If it's from one of the nuts, then 2 twists of PTFE covering each olive and try that.

2. My cylinder thermostat (danfoss type at) is not stopping the boiler. Anything to check? I never changed any wiring.
Do you have 2 2 port valves or 1 3 port? The stat controls the valve, the valve turns the boiler on and off by a microswitch in a 2 port. 3 port can be direct to boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back