Hot water for 3 bathroom house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I would like to install a whole new water system into a 5 bed house with 3 bathrooms (1 in the loft, 2 on the first floor).

I will get a professional in for the install, but I would like to understand the options & requirements first.

I want to ensure there is enough flow rate for simultaneous showering and near limitless amounts of hot water.

What is the recommend flowrate for a good shower experience (not talking torrential deluge here, just a good solid shower)?

Will 2 bar of pressure at ground level be sufficient for a good shower in the loft?

Is some form of on-demand hot water viable for the above, or do I need hot water storage? Or is there another option?

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
You need to measure the flow you can get with all mains taps open.
Do you know the size of the mains pipe?
Are you saying the mains pressure is 2 bar?
How much space have you got?

Electric shower is 4 litres/min
Ordinary combi shower is about 8 l/min
box on the wall pumped shower is 12 - 18 l/min
Body jets etc 20+ l/min
huge shower rose, with reasonable flow, 40 l/min
One hotel shower I measured was 60 litres/minute, into a waste bin measured with a cola bottle. (That's what I do on holiday.)

Thanks Chris.

ChrisR said:
You need to measure the flow you can get with all mains taps open.
Do you know the size of the mains pipe?
It's an old lead jobbie, so I will get it replaced. Is a 32mm feed sufficient?

ChrisR said:
Are you saying the mains pressure is 2 bar?
The water supply company will only promise 1 bar. Is this enough for a good shower in the loft (I'm guessing the shower head will be 8 or 9m above the street level)?

I got stung in my last place when the water company dropped the pressure and my loft shower became a dribble :( So I am happy to invest in a booster pump if 1 bar will not cut it.

ChrisR said:
How much space have you got?
Enough - any equipment will be installed in a custom built extension on the ground floor.

ChrisR said:
Electric shower is 4 litres/min
Ordinary combi shower is about 8 l/min
box on the wall pumped shower is 12 - 18 l/min
Body jets etc 20+ l/min
huge shower rose, with reasonable flow, 40 l/min
Wow - the old roses are a bit of an eco-nightmare! I am usually happy with my combi boiler shower, so will aim for a minimum of 10 l/min per shower head. I'll confirm the current shower flow rate tomorrow morning!
Edit: Measured a bit over 6 l/min this morning - it was an OK shower, but it was lower than average flow this morning.

ChrisR said:
One hotel shower I measured was 60 litres/minute, into a waste bin measured with a cola bottle. (That's what I do on holiday.)
This made me laugh - I might try this next time I stay somewhere with a mega shower!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back