Hot water for jetwash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I have standard outside tap plumbed in under my kitchen sink. Drive and garage are around 12m away from the house.

This time of year its a pain to keep the cars clean and to remove as much salt as possible. I would like to use some of the hot water stored in my hot water tank (Mains pressure hot water) to feed the jetwash.

I was considering using a thermostatic mixer valve under the sink plumbed into a spare hot water take off (Left from an old washing machine) and the existing cold supply - then feeding this to the outside tap. I would ensure there was still a hot shut off valve as it wouldn't be needed for watering the garden ;)

Does this sound feasible?

Any alternative ways? (Maybe having a electric shower unit mounted on the wall in the garage and having hose in/out plumbed into it?)

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
First thing you need to do is check your pressure washer will accept hot water, you might just bu99er it up.

If you do go for mixing the hot and cold you need to make sure there's adequate backflow protection to prevent hot water flowing into the mains. You'd be better off to just put in a second outside tap and run the pressure washer off pure hot water, if it'll take it.

An electric shower or instantaneous water heater wouldn't keep up with the required flow rate and would just run cold all the time.

I have an outside hot tap and used a top end Karcher unit, which lasted about 2 weeks before it broke. It was fed from a combi with very good pressure.

Pressure washers can only use cold water. As I found out.

Andy

......An electric shower or instantaneous water heater wouldn't keep up with the required flow rate and would just run cold all the time.
...Until you release the trigger on the washer, then the heater will overheat and cut out.

Sponsored Links
My Nilfisk unit runs fine on hot water, it has an upgraded lance and hose though...

I have an outside hot tap and used a top end Karcher unit, which lasted about 2 weeks before it broke. It was fed from a combi with very good pressure.

Pressure washers can only use cold water. As I found out.

Andy

Maybe depends what temp water you fed it on? Even the basic Karcher models will accept 40 degree C hot water....

First thing you need to do is check your pressure washer will accept hot water, you might just b****r it up.

If you do go for mixing the hot and cold you need to make sure there's adequate backflow protection to prevent hot water flowing into the mains. You'd be better off to just put in a second outside tap and run the pressure washer off pure hot water, if it'll take it.

An electric shower or instantaneous water heater wouldn't keep up with the required flow rate and would just run cold all the time.

Yes it will thanks. Max 40 Deg C, which is why I thought a mixer unit may work....

I have a hot and cold tap outside and use the hot tap fed off my combi on my hose for washing the car... great on a cold day....Not at all sure that I would want to use a pressure washer on any of my vehicles though.... I wouldn't reccommend using a pressure washer on the hot supply off a combi as the sudden water hammer of turning on and off can damage the guts of the washer or even the plastic guts of the combi.....

I have a hot and cold tap outside and use the hot tap fed off my combi on my hose for washing the car... great on a cold day....Not at all sure that I would want to use a pressure washer on any of my vehicles though.... I wouldn't reccommend using a pressure washer on the hot supply off a combi as the sudden water hammer of turning on and off can damage the guts of the washer or even the plastic guts of the combi.....

I don't have a combi - its a a pressurised hot water system with a hot water tank.

I don't have a combi - its a a pressurised hot water system with a hot water tank.

Yes, I am aware of this but loads of other folk here will think that a hot tap outside is a good idea.... Some of them will have a combi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back