HOT water from garden tap!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I havent been living in this house for long. I have just found what appears to be an outside garden tap but it didnt have a handle on it - this could have just been lost.
When I opened the valve/tap with a spanner a load of gunk splurted out, then it cleared and now its warm/hot water, the same temprature from the hot tap in the house!!!

(I let the tap run for a long time and it didnt cool down)

Any ideas as to why hot water is being pumped to the outside??????

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Sponsored Links
This is the drain off valve for the central heating - you have just emptied some water from it! What sort of coiler have you got? If it's a combi, you'll need to repressurise it to about 1 bar. If conventional (with a cylinder and two water tanks in the loft), you need do nothing to refill it. You may have to bleed the air out of the radiators in either case.

Would probably be worth considering adding some inhibitor as well, especially if the state of the inhibitor in the system is unknown.

:eek:

Its an oil burner so hopefully I wont have to worry about re-filling it?????
Should I bleed the radiators?

Can't believe its not marked or something for dumbo's like me!

Thanks for the replies!

:D

Sponsored Links
is it not hot water that someone has accidentally connected too, and once they realised they just removed the tap handle?

Can you trace back to where the other end goes to.

It does sound like some numpty has connected up to the hot piping instead of the cold :D

mattylad why do you need to be a numpty to fit a hot outside tap?? i have fitted a hot one beside the cold one so that we can fill the paddling pool with both, also use it with the pressure washer to clean the cars

i have fitted a hot one beside the cold one so that we can fill the paddling pool with both, also use it with the pressure washer to clean the cars

make you right kirk i have a hot one which was installed for washing the dogs.

Perhaps because there is no mention of a cold one.
Surely if your going to fit a hot you would also fit a cold one too.

The numpty bit being that maybe it was a mistake, hence the reason why the top was missing from the tap. :D

Outside hot taps aren't unknown. A couple of years ago, a customer of mine who owns a few classic cars wanted me to fit outside hot and cold taps. The hot was to mix in the bucket with car shampoo to keep his impressive collection of Jags and Rovers (3.5 litre P5 Coupe - now there's a car!) ship-shape and Bristol fashion.

I've had an external hot tap for twenty years. Put it in for dog washing. Got a shower head on a lump of hose connected to a tee piece to give hot and cold. It's also handy if I get home covered in carp. I can strip down to my underpants outside and save tramping the muck through the house. It was very handy when the inspection plate blew off a soil pipe I was trying to clear some years ago.

Some "numptys" have baths with bubbles in the garden............. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back