Hot water in F&E tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

Sorry to bump this, can anyone please help me with my question?

Thanks,

Paul

Went to a job last week where the unit manager said the unit manager could not put a nut in monkey's mouth. Some questions posted makes one wonder if there is any thought pattern involved

Paul think what you have written. You have a dirty big cylinder full of hot water. The separation between header tank and cylinder is a metal sheet. One side of this sheet is heated by the body of water in the cylinder. This sheet also is the base of header tank. Why not touch the base of header tank and see if it is hot? If the base is hot, answer your own question, will the water in header tank get hot ;)

Hi DP,

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had mentioned it but that was in another topic..... I can see the water circulating up through the outlet pip in the F & E tank.

I have CH and DHW working fine so I guess I will just foget about it if the pros don't seem to know if it is a problem.

Thanks for your help.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Given that portion of the tank is a static store that feeds the thermal store if required, there will be a semblance of expansion/convection as the temperature in the thermal store cycles, so I would say that this is to be expected. As DP also mentions, there will be heating of that water from the store below.
Maybe not rusty, as there should be inhibitor in the system, maybe just dirty, depends how long it's been in there. Unless it had been emptied at one time and the inhibitor was not replaced.

Given that portion of the tank is a static store that feeds the thermal store if required, there will be a semblance of expansion/convection as the temperature in the thermal store cycles, so I would say that this is to be expected. As DP also mentions, there will be heating of that water from the store below.
Maybe not rusty, as there should be inhibitor in the system, maybe just dirty, depends how long it's been in there. Unless it had been emptied at one time and the inhibitor was not replaced.

Hi Madrab,

Thanks, you have put my mind at ease.

It is rust, I have a seperate thread all about that :LOL: . I have ordered my Fernox magnetic cleaner and X400 and X100!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back