Hot Water Issue (Nest, Unvented)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you heating / plumbing gurus had any advice for me in regards to my current issue.

A few months ago, my hot water cylinder stopped calling for heat from the boiler and has been running on its immersion heater ever since. The heating works fine with no issues and the boiler kicks in when the thermostat is turned up.

On Friday I finally caved and paid a plumber to come have a look, who came back on Monday to replace one of the silver motorised valves where the cylinder is. On Friday he manually left it open so that central heating would warm up the hot water tank whilst it was on.

Since replacing the valve part on Monday, the boiler is still not activating for the hot water (The tank was cold yesterday so had to switch the immersion heater back on, which heats the water up just fine but costs a bomb).

He mentioned that if this valve replacement doesn't solve the issue, then it is the nest that is causing a problem. In the nest app hot water is always set to on, but is also always greyed out and never orange as if its actually heating.

Is there any way to test the nest is actually asking the boiler for heat? The immersion is costing me a fortune and I can't really afford another plumber callout just to take a look.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sponsored Links
In the nest app hot water is always set to on, but is also always greyed out and never orange as if its actually heating.
This seems to be a known issue and could be unrelated.

Is there any way to test the nest is actually asking the boiler for heat?
If you have some confidence with electrics, with the power off, you can connect together the wires in terminals 5 and 6 of the Nest. Then disconnect any wires in terminal 4 (safely terminate in a separate, spare terminal block).
If the hot water comes on after you reinstate power, the Heatlink is likely to be at fault.
If you are unsure of the connections to be made, post a pic of your Heatlink wiring.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back