Hot water not coming out anywhere.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I hope someone here can help me because I am so brassic I cant afford a plumber, although I can do some basic plumbing myself.

I have a flat with a Fortic F1 1200x450mm boiler/immersion heater thingy.

It's worked faultlessly for nearly 20 years. Recently I had to replace the the ball/float valve as it was pouring water out of the overflow onto me in the bath! Easy job, job done, new float valve fitted same size and type as the old one.

2 weeks on and I now cannot get a drop of hot water out of either the bath, hand basin or kitchen taps. In fact when I open the kitchen or hand basin taps I can hear air being drawn into the tap!

I have tried blowing air, using tubing into the system, which allowed me a reasonable trickle of hot water in the bath to bathe with. That has no effect anymore. I've even sucked water out, and resealed the tap. A day later though its back to sucking air in again. I still have a tiny trickle from the bath tap, but not any useable amount of hot water.

I went to a Plumb Base store and described these problems and they said , whilst it sounded odd, try this: Get a push-on tap shower kit, and pull it apart, so you can force cold water back up the hot pipes.

Well I've done that overnight, through all taps until the water is coming out the overflow and the systems pipes are full and all taps are flowing, albeit cold water. Great I think, airlocks gone, turn off the taps, turn the immersion element back on, hot bath tomorrow morning.

Morning comes. Same as usual. Plenty of hot water, but wont leave the taps. Opening basin or kitchen sinks gets a hissing noise as air is sucked in.

I have now drained the system right down with the ball valve supply shut off through the drain cock with the the ball valve open, and closed to try and flush it through. Both times water came out of all hot taps with a steady good flow. Airlocks not evident.

I've done it in reverse. Last night I fed cold water from the mains supply (which has a high pressure) in via the drain cock until it flowed out of the all taps and the overflow. Turned off all the taps, powered up the system, and once again, the same thing happens. Hot water refuses to leave the bath tap in anything but the tiniest trickle and the kitchen and basin taps suck air in!

It's a hard water area, and I also cannot crack the tank to get to the immersion. I'm worried if I hit the immersion spanner any harder I'll rupture the walls of the tank as its already looking sightly bent!

I think I may be able to get the hot water out pipe off and have a look at the tank interior.

I'm not sure if scale build up is my problem anyway. The water flowed steadily right up until a fortnight ago and shortly after I changed a float valve.

I suspect that there is some kind of airlock inside the hot tank, rather than the pipes. I cannot find any open bleed valves or leaks anywhere in the flat, so I don't think air is getting in or water is draining out from the pipes

Any advice please. I am having to shower at work now, and weekends I have no hot water and resort to filling kettles!

The cheapest I've seen a Fortic F1 is for £180. Should I just buy it and plumb it in?

Andy RSVP

Sponsored Links
In a Fortic there is a fairly small bore pipe that connects the cold water storage part of the tank to the hot water storage side which sounds to me like this might have a blockage of some sort. You can see where the pipe is as there's a bit of a bump in the insulation, so stick your hand in from the top and have a fell if somethings jammed in.

Quite possible the blockage may be in the pipe itself so you may need some wire (not lead!) to poke down to clear it.

Post back if there's no blockage and we'll go from there.

It seems that something is obstructing the feed pipe from the bottom of the cold tank above to the bottom of the hot tank beneath. This can be scale, or you may have dropped something across the outlet in the tank.

Thanks. I'll have a look tonight. I have seen the pipe and I have wire sink/drain unblocker thingy somewhere that would be just the job.

Sponsored Links
Well that didnt work.

Got a drain clearing rod (flat oiled spring steel thing) all the way down into the cold water feed from the tank, so there is no blockage there.

Cant shift the immersion element with the immersion box spanner even with no matter how hard I hit it. It just bends and I'm woried I'll rupture the tank.

Thinking the tank or the hot water out pipe must now be so heavily scaled which explains why it's just a drip . I cant disconnect that from the tank either, it's fused solid with scale

Should I drain down and take a hacksaw to the hot water out pipe bend an the top and open up a hole enough to inspect whats inside and possible clear it out? The bend is 90 deg copper piece. I can solder a replacement in.

Do you think I can descale to make it usable enough until the winter, when I can afford to replace the whole Fortic F1 unit?

Ropes, no joy with the cold water feed pipe. Any other ideas?

Well that didnt work.

Got a drain clearing rod (flat oiled spring steel thing) all the way down into the cold water feed from the tank, so there is no blockage there.

Cant shift the immersion element with the immersion box spanner even with no matter how hard I hit it. It just bends and I'm woried I'll rupture the tank.

Thinking the tank or the hot water out pipe must now be so heavily scaled which explains why it's just a drip . I cant disconnect that from the tank either, it's fused solid with scale

Should I drain down and take a hacksaw to the hot water out pipe bend an the top and open up a hole enough to inspect whats inside and possible clear it out? The bend is 90 deg copper piece. I can solder a replacement in.

Do you think I can descale to make it usable enough until the winter, when I can afford to replace the whole Fortic F1 unit?

The vent pipe maybe blocked, try your drain rod and see if its clear.

Whoa there before you work on an invented tank are you competent to do the work cos these things can be very dangerous if you have a problem turn off the heat to the tank and let it cool down

Whoa there before you work on an invented tank are you competent to do the work cos these things can be very dangerous if you have a problem turn off the heat to the tank and let it cool down
Thanks but the tank is powered down and cold. I'm not using it or paying for leccy into it, if the b****rd won't give me any hot water!

Now, where is this vent? I cant see it. What am I looking for?

On an invented tank there is a kit which supplies the cold water inside it there is a filter it may be bungee up with scale check it out but remember that if you are not certificated to work on invented if anything goes wrong your insurance will not pay out good luck :D :D :D

lets just think about this!!!
the problem started after he changed the ball cock.
are you sure you adjusted it right?
Does it allow water to flow into the header tank if you press it down?
Is the water level set right?
Lets get the basics sorted before we go jumping in with both feet!!!

It would not be the first time I have seen a ball cock fitted upside down by a so called DIYer.

buck51";p="2416351 said:
lets just think about this!!!
the problem started after he changed the ball cock.

are you sure you adjusted it right?
Well, it works. If you mean water level?, Read on..

Does it allow water to flow into the header tank if you press it down?
Yes, most definitely.

Is the water level set right?
Not sure. I left it at the level I found it, ie; 2/3rds full. But reading on here perhaps it should be at 1/3rd to 1/2 only?

Lets get the basics sorted before we go jumping in with both feet!!!

It would not be the first time I have seen a ball cock fitted upside down by a so called DIYer.
Agreed. I'm sure that this is a simple problem, but not being a plumber, I'm missing it entirely.

I'd been thinking about the water level for a day or two now, but had dismissed it. Maybe we are onto something here.

Will getting the right levels in the header mean I get the right level in the heater tank? The hot water outlet is 2/3rds way up the side of the tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back