hot water not heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm having issues with my hot water. I have an indirect system (boiler and pump serviced last week and all OK). Central heating works fine, but when I switch on just hot water (or indeed hw and ch) i don't get any hw. the pipe going into the cylinder coil thing gets hot, and the return pipe is cold. the feed pipes to the hot water taps though never seem to warm up when you run the hw though. i considered it might be an air lock and have done the thing where you use mains pressure from the kitchen tap to force water back up through the hw tap, but still nothing.

two questions:

1. should the feed pipes from the top of the cylinder get noticeably hotter when you start to run the hw as it starts to flow out of the cylinder

and

2. could there be a blockage in the coil itself meaning only a fraction of the coil is heating up the cylinder water.... if this is the case, how do i unblock the coil....

any help appreciated, as my 18 month old baby is currently taking cold baths. and she's not happy!

Sponsored Links
are you sure you have an indirect cylinder and not a primatic?

Sponsored Links
sorry, i'm not making myself clear. the hot pipe is about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the cylinder, so as you would expect, as it is the feed to the top of the coil. the pipe at the very top of the cylinder is the outlet to the hot water taps again as you would expect.

so i suppose my original question 1 should be does the outlet pipe warm up etc etc...

with this in mind, can you offer any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back